1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:46 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tires

I am about to start third set of tires. About right on track OEM set was replaced at 63K this set will be about 126K..... Before you ask about why they are replaced at only 63K here is the story.

Current tread is 5/32's Most states legal limit and Costco limit is 2/32's of tread.. I have been advised that under about 5/32 you run the danger of losing wet/snow traction. I still have another 12 days of the Costco sale so I will run till then but I really do not want to be stuck in the middle of winter or for that matter slide off the road in the same middle of winter. I am playing it safe and conservative. If it was the other way around with seasons I would run them down to the knubs but with sale ending on the 13th I want to take advantage since you don't know when the sale cycle for Michelin's will come around again.

Current shoes Michelin X-RAD LT

Proposed Michelin LTX M/S 2 Costco Recommendation, for all season and a little beefier tread as well as wet slippery weather traction.

Price difference is only $30 so not a major factor there....

Any members have any reports on the LTX M/S 2 either good or bad?

Old 10-02-2010, 01:13 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have no idea......LMAO!

But I would take beefier......I mean, ma always told me "How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

Old 10-02-2010, 09:20 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

wow you have had good luck with tires there magic, the first set on my truck went out around 45k (my mom was driving it at this point) the last set went out just over 70k, and the ones i got now are still going strong, idk wtf is up w/ that except that the previous set was very soft rubber, and my parents (who both drove 6 cylinders until recently) drive it when im at school and so lay into the gas alot more than they have to, and we all know what that does . . .

Old 10-02-2010, 01:38 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I only got about 40k on ANY of my tires!....Then again I liked to burn the tires!....

Old 10-03-2010, 10:11 PM
mater190
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

The only problem I can see with the Michelins is that they're p-metric. If you ever haul anything, I would go with LT tires. Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmors are the LTs I run on my '00 Durango and I love 'em.

Quick Reply: New tires