1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Fan Blade Broken (photos)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 10:32 AM
mickinirvine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A clearer look

okay, here is what it looks like. I think the clutch and fan are both good and salvagable. The question is, how do I get the nut off of what is left of the water pump without the resistance that having it on the car would provide?

Certainly replacing the fan clutch, fan blade and water pump would be easier, but money is tight and I don't want to replace anything I don't have to. That said, if I have to, then I have to.

Thanks to everyone for your feedback. This forum is always very helpful.

Mickey (total novice)

Attached Thumbnails Fan Blade Broken (photos)-car6.jpg  
Old 10-07-2010, 04:53 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

put a strap wrench around the pulley and a BFW (big f*ucking wrench) and a BFH and bang on it till the nut comes loose

i cant tell from that angle in the picture, but if the fan blades are damaged i would replace the fan, and while you have it off, why not just replace the viscous clutch, its not an expensive part and it will give you peace of mind

btw it looks like your water pump is gone, that pulley is supposed to be attached to it . . .

Old 10-07-2010, 07:36 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

To me it looks like you have broken the drive shaft to the fan from the water pump. I think you are going to have to replace the water pump with a pressed on pulley style (check to confirm) and you could probably put the old pulley in a vice and take the cluth fan off the old pulley and place the old clutch fan on the new water pump.

Second thing, there is a heater hose outlet on the water pump that will pop out in your hand. Just clean it and install a new O-rig and lubricate with grease or a small amount of RTV and stick it back in the whole and re-bolt. It will seem weird but that is the way it is. I reccomend the use of Permatex Copper Gasket Maker with gaskets as well to ensure against no leaks. http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...sket_Maker.htm

Old 10-07-2010, 09:45 PM
SumAmerican
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fan and fan clutch are salvageable this is the tool you need (open face spanner wrench)
it will fit in the wholes on the water pump pulley.. it will be a pain in the a$$ but you can break them loose... a big wrench on the nut and the spanner wrench in the wholes.. have a buddy help to minimize knuckle hurtage.. you need a new water pump and a new water bypass hose.. get them new not re-manufactured.. the water pump bypass hose is like $3 and will save you a big pain in the a$$ later.. its a little 3" hose on the back of the water pump.. replace this for sure..

Quick Reply: Fan Blade Broken (photos)