1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Specs for speaker upgrade: 2002 SLT with RAZ front end

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Richard_L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Specs for speaker upgrade: 2002 SLT with RAZ front end

I have a 2002 Durango SLT with the RAZ radio. I want to replace the stock speakers with a set that has better frequency response, efficiency, and power-handling capability. At a minimum I need to know the necessary impedance. It would also be nice to know the true RMS output of the radio; so-called peak power ratings are not adequate.

I can't find specs on the radio anywhere. All I know (I think) is that the speakers themselves are 6-1/2" in diameter.

I would value recommendations from others who have done this, as well as information/specs on the RAZ head.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Old 11-10-2010, 03:21 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

a RAZ headunit, never heard of a headunit in these trucks being called that, the only thing that is special is the higher end infinity HU that came with the upgraded factory sound system, the mids are 6.5" and the higher end system also has tweeters in each door, the stock system is 2 ohm i would have to say my recommendation is to stick with that unless you change the headunit.

EDIT: i just looked it up in my service manual, the RAZ headunit is just a way to differentiate which functions is has, you most likely have the high(er) end infinity system in your truck(i have it too)

not sure if this is what you want, but the total power output of the so called 'premium' (infinity) sound system is 160 watts.

you can download the 2002 shop manual which might have some of the information that you are looking for http://www.mediafire.com/?2cg2hgim2zz

Old 11-10-2010, 03:30 PM
03SxtD
Rookie

If you want an all around sound type deal i would go with the Infinity package.

For bass and Rap music Pioneer has nice cones.

I personally use kenwood for all my audio needs and everything comes together nice.

That being said the speakers are wired for 2ohms and the headunit should reflect closely but not exceeding the max rms of the speakers.

My current setup:
Headunit: Kenwood KVT-614
Speakers: Kenwood kfc-x1730
Subs: 2 12" kenwood 400rms each
Amp: Kenwood 800rms

Link to speakers below:
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_113KFX1...730.html?tp=95

Im not sure if that helps you, but as far as speakers go i am very happy with kenwood's quality (and price)

Old 11-11-2010, 07:17 AM
Richard_L

God, I love the internet. The group mind rules. I'm really glad you guys are here.

I'm a musician and audio professional (live sound engineer and studio owner), but I don't know car audio. Head unit it is. I think "front end" actually refers to the preamp in a component system.

The RAZ is the factory AM/FM/CD/cassette player. It is definitely not the Infinity. I know 160 watts when I hear it, and this ain't it. It produces pretty nice thump for a stock unit, though. I just want the bass a little better defined and SOME high end; there is *******ly none now. It's all the speakers' fault.

The speakers are, as is the case with most American vehicles, starved for treble, so I want to upgrade to a two- or three-way unit with some power handling in case I ever do replace the head. It sounds like 2 ohms is the way to go. (I appreciate the suggestion on the Kenwoods. They look nice, but they are 4 ohm.)

The link to the service manual was great, too. Unfortunately, I can't save it as a PDF, but I have the link, and there's always the Chilton book at the parts place up the street. It did confirm that they are 6-1/2" speaks.

The lack of specs on the head is frustrating, mostly because I'm a perfectionist. Ford doesn't tell you about theirs, and I suspect that no other American manufacturer does, either. Weird.

Thanks, guys.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:47 AM
Richard_L
Default ???

I wonder why the system starred out the word "*******" in my previous post. Is it considered naughty?

R.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Richard_L
Default ???

That's V-I-R-T-U-A-L.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:26 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

we had trouble with spam using that word so it got starred out to stop the spammers,

and if you have the 8 speaker set up (check the front doors, if you have speakers in the front of the window in a little triangular panel) then you DO have the infinity system i have the same headunit as you do and have the infinity

Old 11-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Richard_L
Default Specs for speaker upgrade: 2002 SLT with RAZ front end

Nope, just "four in the doors."

Quick Reply: Specs for speaker upgrade: 2002 SLT with RAZ front end