1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

HELP!!! ABS Pump Stuck On. Will any ABS computer work from a 98-99 Durango?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 04:42 PM
nottidurango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow HELP!!! ABS Pump Stuck On. Will any ABS computer work from a 98-99 Durango?

I have a 1999 Durango 5.9L 4-Wheel ABS. My pump is stuck on so I pulled the ABS fuse. I am looking to replace my ABS computer as I think this will fix my problem.

I was told only 98-99 Durango ABS computers are interchangeable. I have seen these part numbers for ABS computers: P52010390AB, P52010390AD, P5003106AB, and P52009734AD.

Mine is P52010390AB. Do I need to get the same EXACT part number to make it work right after installation, with no programming? Or will any ABS computer work without programming? If I get a different part number will I need to have it programmed at the dealership to work?

Hope you guys can help me with this issue. Thanks!

Last edited by nottidurango; 11-21-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:09 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you can find one that is 3 wheel ABS (as you state that is what yours is) in a 1998-1999 it should work. If the system is only Rear Wheel ABS then I don't think it will work.

Check the junk yards.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:21 AM
nottidurango

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if I do not get exact matching part numbers if I will need to have the ABS computer programmed after installation? I am sure many people on this forum have had to switch theirs out one time or another.

Old 11-21-2010, 07:52 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

It shouldn't need programming if you get one the same number or the same system.

If you can find one that is 3 wheel ABS (as you state that is what yours is) in a 1998-1999 it should work. If the system is only Rear Wheel ABS then I don't think it will work.
2000-2003 will NOT work in yours.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:57 PM
nottidurango

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
It shouldn't need programming if you get one the same number or the same system.

2000-2003 will NOT work in yours.
I can't find an ABS module with the same numbers on it, but by 'same system' do you mean any ABS module out of a 98-99 Durango with 4-Wheel ABS will work (without programming)? Also can you or anyone that has done the replacement confirm this?

By the way, thanks so much for helping me. I'm trying to get my ABS working before winter and I am tired of looking at a big red 'brake' light on my dash.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:59 PM
nottidurango

anyone that has replaced their ABS module be able to confirm this?

Old 11-22-2010, 05:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Yes, I know of a few people that have done this.

Now a 4 wheel ABS system is actually only a 3 wheel ABS system. You have 1 sensor each on the wheel bearing hub on each of the front tires for a total of 2 that monitors each of the front tires rotation.

Then you have a single sensor on the top of the rear differential that monitors the rear tires rotation for a total of 1. This means you technically only have a 3 wheel ABS system.

Now you should ensure that you have sensors on the front wheel hub/bearing and that will ensure you do have 3 wheel (4 wheel) ABS system installed. If you do, then you need to find a 1998-1999 Durango that has the same ABS sensors on the front hub/bearing and get the module. It should be plug and play. Engine size should not matter.

Now if you have 2 wheel ABS then a 4 wheel ABS module will not work, but it has never been tried because the leads would not be there causing the ABS system to flip out.

Now if you had 4 wheel ABS and went to a 2 wheel ABS module, well personally I think it would still work.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:27 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

hydra, i was just thinking about this the other day, the 4wabs has been aggravating me, feels like it kicks in before its actually needed, wonder how much a rwabs module would cost and if it would actually plug in w/o setting off any lights . . .

Old 11-23-2010, 01:03 AM
nottidurango

Thanks so much Hydra, and just to be 100% clear, as long as the module is from a 98-99 Durango with "4 wheel" ABS, it will plug and play? And it does not need to have the exact same numbers listed on top of the module as mine has?

Old 11-23-2010, 10:01 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

That is correct.

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
hydra, i was just thinking about this the other day, the 4wabs has been aggravating me, feels like it kicks in before its actually needed, wonder how much a rwabs module would cost and if it would actually plug in w/o setting off any lights . . .
If you picked one up from a junk yard "2003 model for you" (pick and pull yard maybe $10 bucks) I would assume that it would be plug and play regardless for you to down grade to a RWAL system. The front hubs are a little different with the ABS sensors and all but it shouldn't matter on the Module side because on a RWAL system (2 wheel ABS) pin outs wouldn't be there and or no connections on the Module. In this case the Module should NOT set off any CEL's because it wouldn't have the ability to see the front sensors.

Now I'm talking practicability and pure speculation, but I'm very sure it should work. I'm sure enough I would try it.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! ABS Pump Stuck On. Will any ABS computer work from a 98-99 Durango?