1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

ATF 4 for power steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 07:47 PM
DurangoOwner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATF 4 for power steering

Is it safe to use ATF 4 for power steering in a 1998 durango? I know in the newer vehicles that is what is used, but I don't know if the pumps on the 98 can use it. I am not sure whats in the system now. If its regular power steering fluid, I am assuming I should top off with the same. If that's the case, I would like to flush and use ATF 4 if it will benefit the car.

Last edited by DurangoOwner; 11-29-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:19 AM
boogity48

power steering fluid and transmission fluid is perty much the same thing....ive been using tranny fluid in my ps pump for years

Old 12-01-2010, 02:59 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

check your manual, mine says that atf +4 is to be used for power steering fluid

Old 12-01-2010, 04:02 PM
DurangoOwner

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
check your manual, mine says that atf +4 is to be used for power steering fluid
Yea, I know that ATF+4 is recommended for the 02 and later vehicles. The manual for my 98 recommends Mopar power steering fluid. I was wondering if its safe to use ATF+4. I can't come up with a reason why it wouldn't be safe, but I want to make sure. My manual also says to use ATF+3 for the trans., but I know that was phased out and ATF+4 is now recommended.

Last edited by DurangoOwner; 12-01-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:25 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DurangoOwner
Is it safe to use ATF 4 for power steering in a 1998 durango? I know in the newer vehicles that is what is used, but I don't know if the pumps on the 98 can use it. I am not sure whats in the system now. If its regular power steering fluid, I am assuming I should top off with the same. If that's the case, I would like to flush and use ATF 4 if it will benefit the car.
Most likely not!

You most likely have a Power Steering system that uses a Brown fluid. It is not found anywhere but a dealership! If your owners manual states use "Mopar Power Steering Fluid" and does not indicate any other fluid then take your VIN number to the Dealer and ask them if you have the Brown fluid! There is no other fluid if you use the Brown fluid other than Mopar and you MUST go to the Dealer. It is about $8 per quart.

Your transmission needs ATF+4 as ATF+3 is now discontinued and all systems that indicate ATF+3 needs to switch over to ATF+4 now. My personal favorite is Valvoline Fully Synthetic ATF+4. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...f-4-facts.html

Old 12-02-2010, 02:04 PM
DurangoOwner

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Most likely not!

You most likely have a Power Steering system that uses a Brown fluid. It is not found anywhere but a dealership! If your owners manual states use "Mopar Power Steering Fluid" and does not indicate any other fluid then take your VIN number to the Dealer and ask them if you have the Brown fluid! There is no other fluid if you use the Brown fluid other than Mopar and you MUST go to the Dealer. It is about $8 per quart.

Your transmission needs ATF+4 as ATF+3 is now discontinued and all systems that indicate ATF+3 needs to switch over to ATF+4 now. My personal favorite is Valvoline Fully Synthetic ATF+4. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...f-4-facts.html
Ok thanks! I'll stick with Mopar power steering fluid then. I usually get my Mopar parts from dodgeparts.com. I was able to order Mopar ATF+4 for my tranny from them. I can't locate the power steering fluid on their site (or anywhere else on the web) though, may have to go to the dealer like you said.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:38 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That is the only way. Brown is out of production (I think) and the sad thing is they are the only place you can get the brown fluid.

Valvoline sells a nice Fully Synthetic ATF+4 at your local parts store as well (which is better). Dealership fluids you can never go wrong either.

Quick Reply: ATF 4 for power steering