1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Comuter controlled camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 09:11 PM
tims-5.9L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I'm gonna air hold the valves to swap out the springs..... As for the throttle body spacer not working, I don't agree with that as a blanket statement. I own a high performance speed shop here in Minnesota, and I'm ASEMaster Certified with over 26 years experience building and modifying motors and vehicles on a regular basis. There is definatly a time and place for throttle body spacers and not ALL motors will respond well to them. This entire combination has been carefully planned out and each modification was done one at a time. Therefor I can say in this case my given combination did respond well to the spacer.

Old 12-10-2010, 01:08 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice to see you are a mechanic.

The entire reason for a TB spacer is to:

1. Move a CARBURETOR off the surface of the intake manifold to keep the heat from the motor from reacting to the the stoichiometric air/fuel mixture creating a vapor lock (under stoichiometric air/fuel mixture which is approximately 14.7). Again this is for a carburetor.

2. Increase a flow design for the static air and fuel to mix to a better atomized mixture. This increases burning efficiency. Problem is, there is no carburetor!

Dude, a direct fuel spray (atomization) from an injector with air directly above the head (intake valve) isn't going to change unless you direct the air at that exact point before it intakes to the valve. In a carburetor the fuel is dumped at the carburetor/intake point and mixed (using a spacer it's better) becoming a better atomized mixture BEFORE it reaches the valve and into the combustion chamber. A Spacer extends this length to add to a better atomization of mixture (between the carburetor and the intake) thus also creating a better burn and more power.

A Multi-port Fuel Injection motor (MPI) injects the fuel and a precise mixture at the direct point of the valve opening, also the 02 sensors measure the output after burning. The PCM increases or decreases the stoichiometric air/fuel mixture buy using it's measurements. This is why you will always have more fuel mileage on fuel injected motors. The only way you are going to change this mixture to a better atomization is to install something above the injector and the "air/injected fuel" mixture (atomization) as it flows into the head (which is where a Spacer would work). Unfortunately, a TB spacer is mounted between the intake and the Throttle Body, not the valve and intake.

Now if you want to change the intake of air into the Throttle Body or Intake Manifold via a ported or redirected air flow, (bored Throttle Body/intake ports) then the PCM will change the stoichiometric air/fuel mixture to the correct mixture either way.

You my friend are misinformed. A Throttle Body Spacer ONLY works on a carbureted engine. http://ezinearticles.com/?Avoid-Thro...ers&id=2099548

Last edited by hydrashocker; 12-10-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:21 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tims-5.9L
Yes I'm gonna air hold the valves to swap out the springs..... As for the throttle body spacer not working, I don't agree with that as a blanket statement. I own a high performance speed shop here in Minnesota, and I'm ASEMaster Certified with over 26 years experience building and modifying motors and vehicles on a regular basis. There is definatly a time and place for throttle body spacers and not ALL motors will respond well to them. This entire combination has been carefully planned out and each modification was done one at a time. Therefor I can say in this case my given combination did respond well to the spacer.
any chance you want to share the name of your shop so i dont ever go there?? thanks, as hydra said tb spacers only work on carbs.

Quick Reply: Comuter controlled camshaft