1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Comuter controlled camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 12:05 PM
winkie74
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comuter controlled camshaft

Im looking at getting the comp cams 20-602-9 camshaft for my 1999 durango 318 4x4. It has a moderate duration and a good lift and i know i have to get new springs and it said there might need to be modifications done to the computer and i was wondering if there are any tuners out that i could get to do it myself or is there someplace i could send it to have it done cause im not ready to take it to a dealership to get ripped off.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Why not just go OEM cam and do a 1.7 lift rocker arm? That's the same thing as cam'ing the motor and it's reversible with no issues.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Fox Fader
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look in the 2nd gen Ram section. They send their's out and have them flashed, but I can remember who they use nor if they can do yours. I do know everyone who uses them loves em.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:14 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Old 12-04-2010, 10:29 PM
winkie74
Professional

if i did the 1.7 lift rocker arm i would need new springs right? and there wouldnt be any clearance issues with the valves and the piston? how can you get more of a lift with just rocker arms and not have the vlaves open when the fuel ignites? and since the fuel is injected in specific amounts determined by the computer instead of being sucked in by vacuum how can opening the valve up more increase the amount of fuel going in? i know i have lots of questions but im not very knowledgeable about how the valvetrain puts fuel into clyinders in a computer-controlled car.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:03 PM
SumAmerican
Professional

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/index.php
those are the guys I suggest haven't tried bg performance tho

Old 12-05-2010, 10:36 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by winkie74
if i did the 1.7 lift rocker arm i would need new springs right? and there wouldnt be any clearance issues with the valves and the piston? how can you get more of a lift with just rocker arms and not have the vlaves open when the fuel ignites? and since the fuel is injected in specific amounts determined by the computer instead of being sucked in by vacuum how can opening the valve up more increase the amount of fuel going in? i know i have lots of questions but im not very knowledgeable about how the valvetrain puts fuel into clyinders in a computer-controlled car.
All it does is keeps the valve open SLIGHTLY longer just like an "oversized" cam does.

I have not installed these before, but I believe they are a direct bolt on. They go on over the existing head and components and are just a bolt on. Basically, it's just a taller degree over OEM, there is no way possible that the valve would be open at TDC when the piston is up. By basic timing the intake valves open as the piston goes down and exhaust opens as the piston comes up on Exhaust stroke, however there is always a large lag between the open and closed exhaust stroke valve while the piston is coming up.

If you don't like the idea then just cam the motor and be done with it.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:02 PM
tims-5.9L

I put in a Comp Cams XR258R-12 in my 2000 durango W/5.9L. I degreed the cam and installed it @ 108 degrees intake center line, it made a big improvement in performance. I didn't need to do any ecm mods either. In addition I also installed a 53mm throttle body, 1" spacer, true dual exhaust W/ x-pipe and a Hypertech programmer. I haven't installed new valve springs yet. Comp Cams didn't have any for the "magnum" series as of a year ago when I did the cam swap. I recently found that MOPAR Performance offers a spring that will work well for this application. I don't have any coil bind issues, however the factory valve springs have pathetically low spring pressures so this is expected to make a significant improvement in valve train performance.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:22 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Sounds good all except you Throttle Body spacer. They do NOT work on MPI motors dude, they only work on motors with Carburetors. Also how did you "degreed" the cam?

Do you plan on using compressed air while changing the valve springs?

Old 12-08-2010, 06:23 PM
winkie74
Professional

i looked around at rocker arms and the cheapest ones were over $800. thats a lot more than i thought. has anyone found any 1.6 or 1.7 shaft mount rocker arms for cheaper?

Quick Reply: Comuter controlled camshaft