1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

98 D Eating up front differentials. What's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:50 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well not all the same cases are built the exact same. They all have petite indifference's and that could explain why most people have the issue but some don't.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:50 AM
coreybv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Well not all the same cases are built the exact same. They all have petite indifference's and that could explain why most people have the issue but some don't.
Makes me wonder if it might be worthwhile to start making plans to have mine overhauled. Especially since it's twice been put under enough strain to blow the front diff. Also makes me wonder if it's something I could tackle myself in a weekend, or if I'd be better off having a tranny shop do it. Transfer case is about the only part on a vehicle I've never been inside of...

Old 01-17-2011, 01:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I would to tell you the truth. That is a lot of wind up and I would assume that the chain is worn pretty bad now. If you drop it and take it in it's a lot cheaper. While it is down replace the 4X4 switch sensor. Refill with ATF+4 Fully Synthetic (Valvoline makes one) before install and drain out the extra. It's a lot easier to fill it before install.....LOL

Old 12-05-2012, 07:53 PM
biggman100
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nuetral shifting

I know this thread has been around awhile, but i wanted to add my experience with getting my t-case to go back into 2wd without having to back up and turn it. My D has been sitting almost 3 weeks, because the roads have been clear here, but it was stuck in 4pt, and nothing i did would disengage it, so after coming upon this thread, i went out, started it up, waited a minute, put the trans in neutral, put the t-case in neutral, stepped on it once with my foot off the brake to make sure it was in neutral, put the t-case back in 2wd, put the trans in drive, and pulled out of the driveway, spinning the back tires for about 20 feet, went to the end of my road, did a u-turn to the right, and then one to the left, and everything seems to be back in 2wd. Ill know for sure tomorrow, as im gonna drive it the 48 miles to work, and see what happens.

Quick Reply: 98 D Eating up front differentials. What's the deal?