1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Another 4x4 problem thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 11:26 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I got it out of the 2001 Dakota Service Manual, however the 2002 Durango should be the same. Download the Service Manual you want and open the PDF file. Then search for (shift motor). http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c...b5ba589d1986ba

Old 12-16-2010, 09:08 AM
NCDurango
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great. It looks like i need to make sure there is 5V at the mode sensor. If so, then it will be either the mode sensor or the motor but it seems they are sold in an assembly. Thanks again for your help. When i get it resolved it will post the procedure to help others.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:40 AM
NCDurango
Rookie

I was just looking at a picture of the shift motor. http://www.carpartswholesale.com/inc...IGNvZGUgTlAxLg==

it looks like there is a place that a tool can be inserted into in order to turn the selector manually. What tool fits this? Or is it just a coincidence?

Old 12-16-2010, 03:19 PM
derango01
Default 4x4 trouble

I just found this forum after changing my transfer case motor. Bad idea because when it got stuck in 4hi last year I immediately climbed under and put 12 volts to the 2-wire connection on the motor. It shifted in each direction until I determined that it was in 2hi. changing the unit was difficult because the front driveshaft did not want to collapse as it was supposed to. Forgive me for using force, [ big hammer & 12 inch steel stock]. I did succeed.Any way, waste off time as I learned here. So it sounds like I need the TCCM. or the switch. It is a tough job.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:50 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by derango01
I just found this forum after changing my transfer case motor. Bad idea because when it got stuck in 4hi last year I immediately climbed under and put 12 volts to the 2-wire connection on the motor. It shifted in each direction until I determined that it was in 2hi. changing the unit was difficult because the front driveshaft did not want to collapse as it was supposed to. Forgive me for using force, [ big hammer & 12 inch steel stock]. I did succeed.Any way, waste off time as I learned here. So it sounds like I need the TCCM. or the switch. It is a tough job.
Well if you would have takin the time to read this thread you would have seen that he already replaced the TCCM.
so I replaced the TCCM today
As usual, your a single poster with nothing to add.....Maybe a Troll.....

Anyway, I don't know of any "hole", I would just replace the motor/mode sensor.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:04 PM
derango01

ru kidding me? did you not comprehend? I only wanted to point out the difficulty ncdurango may have in replacing the shift motor. by the way you may need to remove the crossmember but keep 2 opposing bolts in place & swing it down part way. also, hydracrapper unlike you I don't sit at my comp. all day. please read again. I just found this sight today!

Old 12-16-2010, 11:53 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

yea hydra, he is correct this time, you misread his post, he didnt find us in time to save him the trouble, while he didnt add anything specific he did confirm what the problem was for him (with what i take to be the same symptoms)

Old 12-17-2010, 10:10 AM
NCDurango
Rookie

so, if the motor is working, it is possible to put voltage to it and shift it yourself? Is there a way to confirm what position it is in?

I plan to check the voltage at the motor and at the mode sensor this weekend. I will try to clean the contacts just to be sure. If everything checks out, i will apply voltage to see if the motor works. I think i will make a mark on the shaft and the housing so i can see where it was just incase the motor turns and i need to put it back.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:19 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by derango01
ru kidding me? did you not comprehend? I only wanted to point out the difficulty ncdurango may have in replacing the shift motor. by the way you may need to remove the crossmember but keep 2 opposing bolts in place & swing it down part way. also, hydracrapper unlike you I don't sit at my comp. all day. please read again. I just found this sight today!
I appoligize for my misinterpretation. You are correct. I did say "maybe" not definitive.

However you can shove it where the sun don't shine for the "hydracrapper" remark. I don't have to degrade people to get my point across, I call it how I see it.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:23 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by NCDurango
so, if the motor is working, it is possible to put voltage to it and shift it yourself? Is there a way to confirm what position it is in?

I plan to check the voltage at the motor and at the mode sensor this weekend. I will try to clean the contacts just to be sure. If everything checks out, i will apply voltage to see if the motor works. I think i will make a mark on the shaft and the housing so i can see where it was just incase the motor turns and i need to put it back.
It all sounds good dude. I don't know how to answer that question though, I think your going to have to be the Guinea pig so to speak. I don't see any issues with your trying the motor idea. I would mark it and take it slow.

Quick Reply: Another 4x4 problem thread