1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

New Durango Owner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 05:49 PM
homerdog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Durango Owner?

Hello,
I am seriously looking at getting a 1998-2001 4X4 Durango. I have a few questions before I take the plunge. I do allot of off road hunting and a front locker is an absolute must. I don't plan on any big lift, just a torsion lift and rear shackles.
1. How off-Road worthy is the Durango?? I spend most of my off-road time in soft (sugar) sand and very loose gravel wash bottoms.
2. How well will the front axle hold up to a locker?? Tire size will be 32's max. more than likely just 31s
3. Can the electric shift AWD transfer case be modified to 2WD?? I.E. disconnect a wire to disengage the AWD but retain the 4HI and 4LOW feature.
4. What is the most common stock 4X4 axle gearing? (4.10, 3.73, 3.55, 3.05 ECT)
5. Common problems to look for at 100-150K miles.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:59 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

First off I'm just like you and spend a lot of my time off roading and hunting. I have 31" M/T tires and it holds up great to the off road and don't worry about slipping much at all (if any). The highest our rigs can hold stock are 31" tires without rubbing but like you said if you do a t/s lift it should clear.

As far as the most common stock axle gearing, ours have the Dana 35 axles and the more common are 3.55 and 3.92 stock.

Some problems I would check for are that mileage are:
-How is the transmission shifting?
-How has it been maintained (all fluids replaced in proper intervals)?
-Check the tie rods and tie rod ends and make sure theres no problems there
-Does the 4WD transfer smoothly?
-Give under the hood a once over and make sure everything looks as it should.

What size engine does this D have that you're looking at? Mine has the 5.9 and the off road worthiness is great compared to a Grand Cherokee I had perviously.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:09 PM
homerdog

I haven't decided yet, I'm looking at 3-4 Durango's at local dealers and CL. My main concern is the front axle. How well does the independent front suspension with the CV type axle hold up to lockers? I must have a front locker for the type of stuff I run in.

I have a Ford Explorer now and go anywhere a Jeep will go. The problem is the Ford is Fix Or Repair Daily

I'm extremely diligent about preventative maintenance but the Explorer will not stay fixed, its a POS.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:34 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Just get a 1998-1999, 5.9L Durango with the NV242HD transfer case and be done with it.

Quick Reply: New Durango Owner?