1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

ABS/Brake light

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:52 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by billdixon
the nosie was in that general area.But I think my wheel hub is on it's way out.I pull the tire off and there was grease on the inside of the tire and it was coming from the back side of the wheel bearing.And there are no grease fittings near there.
Just as I thought, you have a bad wheel bearing or CV half shaft joint.

BTW<------You should thank that shop for screwing you.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:55 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah like shrp and I suspected, didn't sound like a driveshaft problem...

Old 12-17-2010, 03:51 PM
billdixon
Rookie

they replaced the drive shaft down at disney.They said it was ready to come apart.This wheelbearing hub was replaced 3 years ago under warrenty.I did the right side last year myself.the noise was a banging sound right after you stoped the started driving and when backing up.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:11 PM
billdixon
Rookie

Ok here is a update on this.I replaced the front wheel hub the light went out for awhile.and then it keeps coming on and then it goes off thne turns back on.The durango drive normal.What do I do to fix this.where are all the speed sensors.thanks for all your Help.My speedo is working fine.Bill

Last edited by billdixon; 01-14-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:23 PM
billdixon
Rookie

I went advance auto and had codes read but there was no codes.

Old 01-14-2011, 02:39 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yeah typically it wont have codes if you don't have a check engine light.

How is your brake booster? Check the vacuum lines to the booster and make sure theres no cracks and also when your stopping there should be no tightness. I had this happen on my D and it ended up needing a new brake booster. Especially with a intermittent ABS and brake light.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:41 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

where are all the speed sensors
Depends;

If you have ABS sensors on the front wheel bearings then you have 3 wheel ABS (called 4 wheel ABS). If you don't have ABS sensors on the front hubs then you have 2 wheel ABS.

So the "4 wheel" ABS has a sensor on each front wheel and a single sensor on the top of the rear differential. The "2 wheel ABS" only has the rear differential sensor.

However there is also a transmission output sensor. This sensor will trigger ABS codes but not screw up the speedo. You could try to replace this sensor.

Next thing I would tell you to do is visit a junk yard and get a new ABS module with the same type ABS system (either 2 wheel or 4 wheel) and same year as yours and swap them to see if your issue goes away or check connections. It is located just under your master cylinder yet plugged in to the ABS valve body. It is just electric.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:13 AM
billdixon
Rookie

I have the 4 wheel abs.when I replaced the front hub the wire for the front sensor did not fit that good could that be a problem.thanks for the help Bill

Old 01-17-2011, 09:22 AM
samnbensdad
Captain

I have the 4 wheel abs.when I replaced the front hub the wire for the front sensor did not fit that good could that be a problem.thanks for the help Bill
What do you mean by "it didn't fit that good?" I recently replaced mine (same year and model) and the plugs were identicle. Where did you get the hub... and are you certain it was the same year. Also, there is a slight difference in the driver and passenger side hubs. I think it's just the physical placement of the plug and routing of the cable though. Did you reuse the ABS cable from your old hubs? That could be an issue.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:30 PM
billdixon
Rookie

Its a new cable.it was hitting the side of the steering nuckel a little bit.everthing fits and works fine.the abs light comes on then it will go off for while then turns back on again.but it drives fine of normal.

Quick Reply: ABS/Brake light