1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Looking to buy a 1st gen durango

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:47 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

if you are looking at a 4x4 make sure to check the ball joints, if theya re bolted on they have already been replaced, if not then they will probably need to be replaced, especially on higher mileage vehicles, other than that the above responses are right on, the 4.7 is a good engine if you find one with it (im sure you will if you stay 2000 and newer) the 4.7 is the most efficient engine, and it puts down the same performance a the 5.2, however lacks the aftermarket support that the 5.2 and 5.9 engines have.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:36 PM
a_few_miles2go
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to everyone so far on the advise... as far as options go all i really care about is that the truck is 4x4 all the other options are just a bonus if you will..

So from what im reading so far .. i wanna look for a truck with the 5.9l engine and check the ball joints, tie rods, fluids and make sure it shifts good.. anything else i should be aware of or look for?

Old 12-20-2010, 01:42 PM
a_few_miles2go

Originally Posted by oklahomafbody
We've had the 98 since the end of July, Chevy people, first Dodge (unless you count mitsubishis), very happy with it. Actually traded a 98 Malibu for it( I had about $800 total in the Malibu). It needed a front pump for the transmission. I kept fluid in it and drove it home 80 miles, and drove it around town for about a month. Pulled the trans and fixed that. Pulled a 16ft trailer with it. Havnt got to really use the 4wd yet but looking forward to it after the trans is fixed again. I have a recent thread about that if your interested. It actually shows the durability of the Durango.

Like I said its a 98, 360, NV242 transfer case. The transmission was a bitch to pull and put back, but doable. Only other thing Ive had to do really was a belt tensioner, which was cake. Its got 185,xxx Miles on it now, but drives like it has 60,000. It is a beast. No noises, smoke, etc. From a mechanics viewpoint, These are well built, durable suvs.

I know where your coming from on the 3rd gen Camaro, have had a few, 3rd and 4th, still own one 4th gen. The engine bay in the Durango is a nicer place to have to work lol.

I also highly recommend the 5.9L 360 if you want something with the torque and power. I dont know how the 4.7 does, the 5.2 is a good motor also, but the 5.9 is about work. It'll pull a trailer like a full size truck. Our Durango dropped maybe an inch in the back with a loaded 16ft trailer on it.

Id love to read the tread you have on it... can you post me a link?

Old 12-20-2010, 03:28 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by a_few_miles2go
Thanks to everyone so far on the advise... as far as options go all i really care about is that the truck is 4x4 all the other options are just a bonus if you will..

So from what im reading so far .. i wanna look for a truck with the 5.9l engine and check the ball joints, tie rods, fluids and make sure it shifts good.. anything else i should be aware of or look for?
Maintenance records! Can't stress that enough!

If when you find the Durango of your dreams take it to a reputable shop and have a 128 point inspection done to it. It will cost you only like $100 and WELLLLLLLL worth the cash spent!

Like I said, I would ensure the rear end was a 3.92 gearing, 5.9L engine, and 2000-2003. Try and esnure it cames with the Heavy Duty cooling package/Tow package.

BTW<----Towing for this truck is 7300 lbs for a 4X4, it's 7500 lbs if it is a 2wd.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:53 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yes good correction hydra. Mine is 2WD so I was forgot it's lower with the 4WD. Good catch.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:00 PM
a_few_miles2go

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Maintenance records! Can't stress that enough!

If when you find the Durango of your dreams take it to a reputable shop and have a 128 point inspection done to it. It will cost you only like $100 and WELLLLLLLL worth the cash spent!

Like I said, I would ensure the rear end was a 3.92 gearing, 5.9L engine, and 2000-2003. Try and esnure it cames with the Heavy Duty cooling package/Tow package.

BTW<----Towing for this truck is 7300 lbs for a 4X4, it's 7500 lbs if it is a 2wd.
Maintenance records.... yes i ment to say that, guess i didn't. I plan on buying from a dealer, i refuse to buy something of this nature private party so im hope there's no problem getting the info... also wanna get the carfax report too...

Old 12-20-2010, 05:20 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yeah most dealer bought carshave records and are more than happy to pull anything if they know you're serious.

I know what you mean about these private party sellers. It's kind of funny but ridiculous but I went with my girlfriend to buy her car a couple years back and went to a small lot she found a car at and the owner wouldn't even let us test drive it without running a credit report and a record check for me. I WAS GOING TO PAY WITH CASH!!

Old 12-20-2010, 05:53 PM
a_few_miles2go

There is a guy that has a '02 durango listed on Craigslist here.. Pretty truck only one flaw.. the front end is smashed in because he hit a 8 point buck at 50 mph... asking price?? $12,000 FIRM! what an idiot. Im willing to bet there is some more damage than meets the eye in the pic.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:04 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Holy s**t!! $12k after nailing a deer is way too steep. I know when I hit a deer in my D it blew the radiator and I had to get a new radiator fan because it got bent. Also had to replace the front end...

I'm not sure how the automobile market is where you live but for the most part about re average Durango I see goes around here at a dealer for around $8k or $9k.

I know I bought mine for $37k brand new off the showroom floor, I'm the one owner and has all the bells and whistles with 123k miles, and mine KBBs for around $10k.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 PM
a_few_miles2go

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
Holy s**t!! $12k after nailing a deer is way too steep. I know when I hit a deer in my D it blew the radiator and I had to get a new radiator fan because it got bent. Also had to replace the front end...

I'm not sure how the automobile market is where you live but for the most part about re average Durango I see goes around here at a dealer for around $8k or $9k.

I know I bought mine for $37k brand new off the showroom floor, I'm the one owner and has all the bells and whistles with 123k miles, and mine KBBs for around $10k.

Yeah, he claims he has that just in mods... lowered it so its almost hits the ground, put those really skinny tires on it. those type of things... i have a term for it but, i can't say it here..lol

i found one that im falling in-love with... its a '98 with a 5.2l v8 in it got 150,300 miles on it and it looks to have been taken pretty good care of. i have not been to the dealer to look at it cause i dont have the money yet to buy (But, praying really hard to get my check before its sold) They are asking $3750 for it. Im willing to bet if i walked up and offered 3 cash they jump on it cause i found out tonight from a friend that its been on the lot since sometime over the summer.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 1st gen durango