1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Looking to buy a 1st gen durango

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 09:05 PM
a_few_miles2go
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a 1st gen durango

Hello all,
I will start out by saying that i am new to the forum. The reason i started the thread was because i am looking to buy a durango (most likely a 1st gen) as soon as the SSA can find it in there hearts to cut me my check...(grin) and i wanted to get some feedback good or bad about them from the owners themselves. I know that going to a dodge forum most reply will probably be positive but, still i wanna know the ropes about them before i purchase one..

Let me tell you a bit about myself.......

I have been driving now for 15 years. In that 15 years i have owned 3 trucks and they all where chevys.... the first was a '72 c-10 second was a '91 s-10 and the third was a '89 silverado. I have had a fair amount of luck with chevy but, something has come over me (maybe something in the water..lol) but i wanna try something new. At first i thought i would try a RAM.. Thinking a bit more about my needs more than my wants i have come to the conclusion that all i really need a truck for is to have 4x4 for the winter time. so, i decided that the best fit would be to go with a durango.

So, with that said let me know your experiances with your durango good or bad like do they hold up? how many miles are on em, how many miles are to much when buying? are they known to have certain problems?

Old 12-19-2010, 09:34 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I have had my Durango since I bought it off the showroom floor back in September of 99. I have had a few problems here and there but fr the cost part they were easy problems. Like you, I've had a couple GM vehicles in my life (90 camaro and 04 Sierra 2500) and let me tell you both were a pain in the butt to work on.

I would have to say from a mechanic stand point, the Durango is a beautiful engine to work on to upgrade or fix things compared to a GM. As far as parts go, they are for the most part pretty easy to find and not too expensiv compared to my other vehicles I've had.

As far as things to look for in your new Durango, I wild check the tie rods and ends and try to get records on the maintenance if they're available. I would assume your are going to look at a 4WD model so check and make sure everything shifts alright in all gears.

The first generation is a great body style and they were an abundance of features available, but for the most part even with not all the bells and whistles, was still a nice vehicle to have.

You have picked a great forum to start your Mopar career with! We are a great forum full of information and very informative people on here. We are all (for the most part) easy people to get along with and are easy to get correct answers out of.

If you could give us some more information on some Durangos you're looking at (such as price, features, and year of model) we can give you an idea if you're getting screwed sideways or if it's a deal too good to be true.

Welcome again to the forum and make yourself at home.

Edit: My Durango currently has 123,000 miles on it and is still running like a champ!

Last edited by WhiteWidow00; 12-19-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:07 PM
a_few_miles2go

Right now im just in the getting info stage... as i said in my first post im waiting for the SSA to cut me a check (sometime between now and 2020 im guessing) before i can buy. Just browsing at dealers im finding 98-02 going for about 3-6k. I dont wanna get my heart set on one and come to find it sells before i get the cash.... once i have the cash and pin point one i will start a post asking if its a good deal or not..

Old 12-19-2010, 10:23 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Well it's not a bad choice of vehicle to start looking at. 3-6k is a pretty reasonable price also. Not sure what your personal taste is but in 2001 the Durangos underwent a slight appearance change. They got a little sportier and most of which ive seen havrunning boards and a updated interior. IMO I didn't exactly take choice on which I liked more but I love the interior setup on mine. I have bucket seats but just recently found out there are Durangos out there that came from the factory with bench seats in the front.

Also, as far as our trucks in the winter time you will love it. Especially with 4WD, it makes driving very nice eighths added weight compared to other midsize SUVs.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:22 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You want to stay with 2000-2003 if you can. They have some better upgrades then the 1998-1999 versions.

The best is the 2003 because you can get 4 wheel disk brakes with that year if equipped. Personally, I would get the 5.9L engine over the 4.7L because they are a lot easier to work on with a lot less crap in the way. Best thing is to get all the maintenance records you can. Look in the owners manual in the glove box to see if they filled it out or what ever else you can find.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:51 PM
Biff85ta
Professional

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
Well it's not a bad choice of vehicle to start looking at. 3-6k is a pretty reasonable price also. Not sure what your personal taste is but in 2001 the Durangos underwent a slight appearance change. They got a little sportier and most of which ive seen havrunning boards and a updated interior. IMO I didn't exactly take choice on which I liked more but I love the interior setup on mine. I have bucket seats but just recently found out there are Durangos out there that came from the factory with bench seats in the front.

Also, as far as our trucks in the winter time you will love it. Especially with 4WD, it makes driving very nice eighths added weight compared to other midsize SUVs.

You live in Nashville if it snows everything shuts down because there are only about three snow plows in the entire metro area. LOL

I have really found the FT 4wd to be helpful on the slippery stuff in the last week or so.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:42 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I actually wouldn't doubt that statement to be true. We have 2 inches and all the schools and banks are shut down!

However I bought the truck from a dealership where I'm originally from in Ohio so I'm quite familiar with driving on ice and snow. Actually true story, I helped pull a school bus out of a ditch! Helped, not by myself by the D did get quite a workout that day.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:32 AM
LuxuryDodge
Professional

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
I have had my Durango since I bought it off the showroom floor back in September of 99. I have had a few problems here and there but fr the cost part they were easy problems. Like you, I've had a couple GM vehicles in my life (90 camaro and 04 Sierra 2500) and let me tell you both were a pain in the butt to work on.

I would have to say from a mechanic stand point, the Durango is a beautiful engine to work on to upgrade or fix things compared to a GM. As far as parts go, they are for the most part pretty easy to find and not too expensiv compared to my other vehicles I've had.

As far as things to look for in your new Durango, I wild check the tie rods and ends and try to get records on the maintenance if they're available. I would assume your are going to look at a 4WD model so check and make sure everything shifts alright in all gears.

The first generation is a great body style and they were an abundance of features available, but for the most part even with not all the bells and whistles, was still a nice vehicle to have.

You have picked a great forum to start your Mopar career with! We are a great forum full of information and very informative people on here. We are all (for the most part) easy people to get along with and are easy to get correct answers out of.

If you could give us some more information on some Durangos you're looking at (such as price, features, and year of model) we can give you an idea if you're getting screwed sideways or if it's a deal too good to be true.

Welcome again to the forum and make yourself at home.

Edit: My Durango currently has 123,000 miles on it and is still running like a champ!

I second the "its a pain in the *** to work on a thirdgen camaro" lol

Im not going nik pick everything but basically My duango has been a very nice, very reliable, ride.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:00 AM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

We've had the 98 since the end of July, Chevy people, first Dodge (unless you count mitsubishis), very happy with it. Actually traded a 98 Malibu for it( I had about $800 total in the Malibu). It needed a front pump for the transmission. I kept fluid in it and drove it home 80 miles, and drove it around town for about a month. Pulled the trans and fixed that. Pulled a 16ft trailer with it. Havnt got to really use the 4wd yet but looking forward to it after the trans is fixed again. I have a recent thread about that if your interested. It actually shows the durability of the Durango.

Like I said its a 98, 360, NV242 transfer case. The transmission was a bitch to pull and put back, but doable. Only other thing Ive had to do really was a belt tensioner, which was cake. Its got 185,xxx Miles on it now, but drives like it has 60,000. It is a beast. No noises, smoke, etc. From a mechanics viewpoint, These are well built, durable suvs.

I know where your coming from on the 3rd gen Camaro, have had a few, 3rd and 4th, still own one 4th gen. The engine bay in the Durango is a nicer place to have to work lol.

I also highly recommend the 5.9L 360 if you want something with the torque and power. I dont know how the 4.7 does, the 5.2 is a good motor also, but the 5.9 is about work. It'll pull a trailer like a full size truck. Our Durango dropped maybe an inch in the back with a loaded 16ft trailer on it.

Name:  Durango1.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  127.4 KB

Name:  DurangoBurnout.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  63.9 KB

Old 12-20-2010, 04:27 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by oklahomafbody
I also highly recommend the 5.9L 360 if you want something with the torque and power. I dont know how the 4.7 does, the 5.2 is a good motor also, but the 5.9 is about work. It'll pull a trailer like a full size truck. Our Durango dropped maybe an inch in the back with a loaded 16ft trailer on it.
YES!!! I forgot to mention that this generation Durango had the best in class towing! Like O said, they pull their heart out and when properly equipped (5.9 engine with 3.92 rearend) they can pull a total of about 7500 lbs. I know I tow a 16 ft cargo trailer for work almost every week day and it's loaded down and every couple of weekends we take the 24 ft travel trailer down to Georgia or thru the Tennessee hills to Chattanooga and I love pulling with the Durango. She has done me well and I've towed a trailer about 60% or her like and she has yet to let me down. I wouldn't trade anything for her right now.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 1st gen durango