1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 02:05 PM
ewr101
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump

'01 Durango w/ 5.9- I have a leak coming from the front drivers side of the engine bay. I've taken off the plastic splash shields from underneth and looked all over to try and locate the source with no luck. I cleaned all the residue and wiped everything down to try and pinpoint the leak and best I can tell it is coming from the power steering. The truck has 115,000 miles on it so it's probably due to be replaced anyway. I've got a Chilton's repair manual and it looks pretty straight forward. I'll be changing the pump and hoses. Anything I should watch out for or any tips and tricks to make the job easier? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:55 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Is the pump going out or are you just wanting to replace it? Be careful on the return hose because that hose is under so HEAVY pressure most of the time. I would suggest just replacing the hose if that's the part that's leaking.

I had a leak on my return hose to the power steering and just replaced it and haven't had problems since.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can use ATF+4 fluid in that pump or Dealer Ship fluid, and that is all I would run in that style pump.

You might want to consider replacing the Rack & Pinion and just doing the whole enchilada. Personally, if you can't find the leak and don't want to dump the money take it in and have someone else look at it.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:01 PM
ewr101

WW- No, I don't think the pump is going out. I don't have any problems with steering, just a leak. I was just thinking of replacing the pump anyway since I would be in there with the hoses. And the fact that it's getting up there in mileage as well. The less expensive thing to do is replace the just the hoses but it would suck to have to go back in there again to do the pump afterwards.

Hydra- Wow, I thought doing the hoses AND pump was probably overkill, but the whole rack and pinion too? I think that's a little much at this point in time. The leak is dripping on the splash shield right next to the removeable access cover. Shielding says it's an oil filter access but the oil filter is on the passanger side of the motor. Shielding must have been used on different models where the filter was where this access hole is.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:19 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

What I would do to pinpoint it is have someone get in the truck while you're looking under it or looking where you suspect the leak is and have the other person turn the wheel side to side so it puts pressure thru the lines. This worked for me. HTH

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump