1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Probable head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Freedog
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I jacked the D up in the rear under the frame and rear end hang. When you grab the wheel and pull up on it, the rear makes a thunk sound. I checked the lug nuts and they were all tight. I then removed the wheel and the brakes. When you grab the axle at the wheel studs and lift, the axle moves up and down in the housing. It doesn't move a ridiculous amount but there is a definite clicking sound. I haven't had a chance to do my research yet so I'm not sure if there is an allowance for axle movement at the bearings at the ends of the rear end housing but it doesn't seem right. The bearings are $23 a piece at AZ but if I'm gonna dig into this I'm thinking I should just change them all.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here are the instructions for removal of the seal. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post2372085

If you can grasp the wheel hub and move it up and down and it makes a sound, that is a bad wheel bearing. If you turn it and hear the the clunk sound well that could be a back lash adjustment is needed. Replacement of the wheel bearing is a PITA! You have to pull the bearing and you must use one of those slide hammer pullers or a axle tube puller.

Quick Reply: Probable head gasket