1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Replacement rear-end assembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 02:36 PM
cowboydevil
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement rear-end assembly

Recently it was discovered that my rear-end has a bearring that came apart inside rear differential housing. My 2002 Durango is still running and functioning ok, but I feel I am on a time-bomb.

I have a couple of options: replace the rear-end, rebuild the rear-end, or trade the vehicle. It has 170,000 miles and has had no major work that I know of. I purchased 4 years ago, 98k then.

If I choose to go with the replacement, $1100 will get a turn key replacement with a used assembly from a savaged unit, 108,000 miles, with a limited warranty.

What pit-falls should I look for with the replacement? At 170,000, is this the start of more problems to come (trade-in?)? What do you all think?

Any information will be appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-06-2011, 03:10 PM
reachinOUT

I feel your pain. I was wheelin off road with my d a couple years back and in the process screwed up a pinion bearing. In researching my options found it more economical to replace the rear end with a salvage piece that had around 80k on it. It cost me around 300 for the assembly with no warranty. It was pretty much an easy install except for working on my back the whole time. I have put about 60k on it since with no problems to speak of. If you are capable, I say go for it if not I would take the best cost/warranty option. My D is about to hit 200k and feels like it has another 100k left in it.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Old 01-08-2011, 09:08 AM
cowboydevil
Default Thanks

Thanks, I have decided to have the rear-end assembly replaced with a salvaged unit. The condition worsened and I could not comfortably drive it any further.

Following the replacement, is there a need to have a 4-wheel alignment? I am having the brakes serviced, and the grease will be changed and the internal workings examined. What other precautions do I need to address?

What should I expect moving forward? This is my first 4WD vehicle, and have not used the 4WD option but a couple of times.

Have a great week-end!

CowboyD

Old 01-09-2011, 07:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think an alignment is necessary for the most part. If it is pulling then I would but the rear should be pretty straight. It is a good idea to ensure the thrust angle is correct. This you would do with an alignment.

Quick Reply: Replacement rear-end assembly