1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

no heat

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Seadootom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no heat

my 2000 durango 4x4 with a 4.7 heat dont get hot.Had the heater core flushed,the thermostat seems to work fine.All controls seem to be working.Any ideas

Old 01-03-2011, 11:58 AM
SumAmerican
Professional

chances are that you'll have to get inside the dash to really figure it out.. on older Ds, like my '99, the heater and AC core can mold up and just not allow any air to pass through the fins. you could also be having problems with your blower motor, you could have you vent system stuffed with snow.. who knows, alot of things could be the case.. give us as much info as you can.. does the air blow, ac work, if you change where the air goes do you feel the vents changing???

if the d is warmed up really well you can feel the two hoses going to the firewall. They will be right on top each other on the drive side of the firewall (engine side). If when the engine is warm and these hoses are not hot, its still clogged. if they are both hot and you're still not getting heat you have a slightly different issue.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:29 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Does it get hotter when the engine is revved up a bit (like driving at highway speeds) versus sitting at idle?

If so I'd be looking for either a clogged heater core or a weak water pump.

Flushing the heater core isn't a 100% thing. It usually works great, but heater cores can and do get to the point where flushing won't help them anymore.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:15 PM
craig_bci

Another frequent problem that I'm aware of from past research is there is a frequent problem with the vacuum hose functionality that is responsible for flipping the baffle/damper door between heat and air, and most of what I've read seems to indicate that it fails when the heat side is closed.

I have this same problem, and with the truck well and truly warmed up, on a really cold day (such as we are having right now), I can feel (by hand just the slightest note of warmth hidden in the cold-to-neutral air coming out of the dash vents. Blower blows strong, the vent selector switches back and forth appropriately, but the heat doesn't make it out.

I haven't tried the heater core flush or the heat hose / firewall / touch test yet, just wanted to share another common problem that I've come across previously from lots of on-line research over the past few years. We've basically just been living with it, but it's actually become more of a problem the last month with this winter's Bay Area weather.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:31 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by craig_bci
Another frequent problem that I'm aware of from past research is there is a frequent problem with the vacuum hose functionality that is responsible for flipping the baffle/damper door between heat and air, and most of what I've read seems to indicate that it fails when the heat side is closed.

I have this same problem, and with the truck well and truly warmed up, on a really cold day (such as we are having right now), I can feel (by hand just the slightest note of warmth hidden in the cold-to-neutral air coming out of the dash vents. Blower blows strong, the vent selector switches back and forth appropriately, but the heat doesn't make it out.

I haven't tried the heater core flush or the heat hose / firewall / touch test yet, just wanted to share another common problem that I've come across previously from lots of on-line research over the past few years. We've basically just been living with it, but it's actually become more of a problem the last month with this winter's Bay Area weather.
The actuators on the 1998-2000's are vacuum (I think it includes 2000 anyway), the actuators on the 2001-2003 are electric. Just and FYI.

Quick Reply: no heat