1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

242 tcase problems?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 05:15 PM
cummingetit
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 242 tcase problems?

Hello everyone. Im new here and im hoping hydra can help me. It seems no one else can? My problem is when im in 4wd hi and lo pt it will lock in untill torque is applied to the front wheels. As in if im climbing a slippery hill or in the mud/snow etc. An example i have is i backed into a muddy spot to turn around. As i left the back wheels spun so i locked it in, it would creep slightly as if it was locked in then id hear a pop and 2wd only. When i put it in reverse it would fully lock up to push me further into the mud. Back to drive and pop 2wd? When i use 4wd full time it has no issues whatsoever. Locks up right away and works great, except disengaging but as i read it seems everyone has that problem with the 242. Ive noticed that sometimes if i drive it in 4wd ft for 5 miles or so then push it into pt it will stay locked up. Some times it will sometimes it wont? Seems hit or miss on that theory but when it does fully lock up in 4pt it doesnt give any indications that there is a problem? I called my local dodge dealer and they said my tcase doesnt come with a viscous coupler only the 249? Which is what i thought the problem may be. Anyone have any ideas? Sorry for the long post but just giving every detail to help you help me

Old 01-04-2011, 06:29 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well the service manual calls it a internal differential, the shop calls it a viscous coupler, regardless it transfers torque on the front and rear.

Could just need an adjustment or the oil is low or bad. Ensure that you change the lubricant and use ATF+4 (about 2 quarts if I recall). Look at the lubricant you pull out for and metal flake or adverse condition.

The thing is, in 4FT the front can move indifferent than the rear proving that it is indeed working. The issue I see is that the T-case isn't fully locking the drive lines together (so no slip between them) as 4PT and 4LOW are fully locked together.

I've never ripped internally into the case, I just understand how it works and relayed information from the shop. Dealers don't always know what they are talking about, but I'm not calling them a liar either.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:38 PM
cummingetit
Professional

Idk if it makes a diffrence but the way i understand ft to work is it splits the power diffrently than 50/50. Ill just say 30/70 (hypothetical) while turning so you dont notice any front end hop at full wheel turn. mine hops no matter what selection its in, except 2wd of course. Also ive noticed that on icy roads when it actually does lock in pt and i stop fast all 4 wheels lock up as do every other 4wd ive driven. But in ft the front tires only slide while the back continue to turn, is that normal?

Old 01-04-2011, 07:05 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Mine hopped as well regardless, but yes in 4FT power can transfer to lets say 90/10, 50/50, or even 35/65. That is why 4FT can be used on all road conditions where 4PT and 4LOW cannot because the drive lines are locked.

So yes the front can stop spinning entirely and the rear still move hypothetically. That is when you would use the 4PT and or 4LOW.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:43 PM
cummingetit
Professional

When you say adjustment what exactly are you refering to? The linkage? Sorry if im being a pita.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:40 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Yes, adjustment on the outside linkage of the T-case.

Quick Reply: 242 tcase problems?