1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Re-timing the 4.7

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:35 PM
swiss
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-timing the 4.7

After the heads were replaced I opted for the cheap ebay timing kit ( do not recommend) and twice after my mechanic has put it together it throws a cam/crank misaligned code...hmm After my hispanic FiL ( Shop Owner) tells me the guy may not be able to speak Engrish but he knows what he is doing I stepped in an had a guy I know that works at East Tulsa Dodge job come and set the timing for me and the mechanic put it back together. Drove my new ( to me) 02 4.7 Durango 28 miles on the 31st, next morning I go to tinker with my old 89 BMW 325i and I start the truck and SOB there's that code again and it broght it;s buddy strange clackity clack with it..... F'in Ay hangover in full effect- it's gonna be a good day. I drove it down to the shop and commence to doing it the only way I KNOW it will be done to my standards, DIY. During tear down I found a ground wire and several bolts not only not tight, but not even all the way down, just straight finger threaded in not even all the way.

So to make a long story short today I reinstalled all the old chains and sprockets/tensioners ,etc. and boxed the ebay kit to send back to the land of broccoli beef and cream of sumyungguy where it belongs. Got new tension and guide rails and gaot all the links through the sight holes and cogs lined up per the factory service manual. ( TY Dodgeforum!!!)

Hopin for no cam code tomorrow when I put the cover on. I feel a lot better doing it my way following the book to the letter and torquing all bolts to spec even the little ones.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:13 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Cheap isn't always good......LOL

Quick Reply: Re-timing the 4.7