1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Clock spring? How hard to change.?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Dleigh18
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clock spring? How hard to change.?

I lost my remote stereo controls on my steering wheel and my horn. Someone mentioned a "clock spring"? Where the hell is that? I assume the steering wheel, and can it be replaced by a normal mechanical average guy like myself....(please no jokes) hahhaha

Thanks guys!

Old 01-06-2011, 06:08 PM
logikfive
Professional

The clockspring is a disk that keeps the connection from the steering wheel to the column. To replace you need to pull the steering wheel.

I've never done it but a friend of mine has, and he says it isn't that bad to do, but I have no information.

This is what it looks like (This is not a Durango unit, however)

Old 01-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Pwall
Veteran

i dont think its the clock spring and if it is you need to disconnect the battery first and have a steering wheel puller to get the wheel of it isn't to difficult to do

Old 01-06-2011, 06:49 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

in order to replace the clockspring you need to pull the steering wheel which has an airbag in it, i would not attempt this unless you have all of the correct tools and dont mind potentially setting off the airbag, IMO this is one of the few jobs better left to the professionals just in case something goes wrong it wont cost you any more to fix it bc you didnt screw it up.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Pwall
Veteran

well i have replaced them before but i also have automotive experience

Old 01-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwall
well i have replaced them before but i also have automotive experience
There ya go! The key words are automotive experience. The OP may have some automotive experience but does he have enough to pull the steering wheel w/out setting off the airbag? Only he knows. And if you have done this sort of thing before, by all means share the info and not brag about it.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:17 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i agree with dan, the automotive experience is the key, (and having a steering wheel puller, idk too many shade tree guys who have of those, i sure as hell dont)

Old 01-07-2011, 02:06 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
idk too many shade tree guys who have of those, i sure as hell dont)
I have two.

Which brings me to this little piece of advice. If you get one, fork out the extra for a good one. The reason I have two is that the el-cheapo I originally bought just bent without even budging the steering wheel. Even the good ones are still not terribly expensive.

As for the possibility of setting off the air bag, I'd say the risk is minimal if he invests the $25 in a Haynes manual and follows the instructions. (All shadetree mechs should have a manual for every vehicle they own. Well worth the money. I'd go with Haynes, Chilton's used to be good but every time I've looked at one in recent years they just don't seem to get as in depth as they used to. Saw one that pretty much covered oil changes and spark plugs, and for everything else basically said "take it to a pro". Um, if I had any interest in taking it to a pro, I wouldn't be buying your service manual, would I? Chalk up one former Chilton's customer who now avoids them like the plague.)

Last edited by coreybv; 01-08-2011 at 04:16 AM.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Fox Fader
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did one last year on an 05 Tacoma. They are not hard to do and sometimes the s-wheel will come off without a puller. Don't sweat the airbag, unplug the battery and just do it.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Biff85ta
Professional

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
i agree with dan, the automotive experience is the key, (and having a steering wheel puller, idk too many shade tree guys who have of those, i sure as hell dont)
They are cheap. I usually end up buying one every couple of time I need one cause it got misplaced or someone did not return mine. Pulling an airbag is not that big of a deal but make sure you discharge any static off yourself before you go unplugging things.

Quick Reply: Clock spring? How hard to change.?