1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

HEELLLLPPPP! With a 5.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:53 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't see that amperage. Indeed, that is WAY WAY low.

IndyD

Old 01-12-2011, 07:56 AM
DoubleD2000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your timing chain has slipped a tooth or two. you're going to have to replace the timing chain (I would suggest a double rolller). It's just cheap insurance.

Last edited by DoubleD2000; 01-12-2011 at 08:01 AM. Reason: misspell
Old 01-12-2011, 08:29 AM
swiss
Amateur

Originally Posted by DoubleD2000
your timing chain has slipped a tooth or two. you're going to have to replace the timing chain (I would suggest a double rolller). It's just cheap insurance.
That's more like what I'm thinking, you're 180 out. Had that happen to my F150 when I was 19. towed it to a shop and paid $350 and all they did was pull my distributor and line up the rotor. Sure it started and I drove off, but it happened again 2 weeks later and I was on the side of the highway. That was when I learned how domestic car makers are all about making as much of the money they can at the price of making a quality product. Plastic timing gear WTF were they thinking. I picked up a complete double set up for the Ford for under $30. Your experience will be similar.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:58 AM
MavsFORMULA
Default Thanks anyway

on your average v-8 engine I would have already done this, but on this 5.2 the distributor does not have a gear on the bottom, it has a slot in the end of the distributor shaft, so, it is either correct, or it is 180 degrees out, but thanks a lot for taking the time to respond, any other ideas that you have will be thoroughly read, and greatly appreciated!

Old 01-13-2011, 12:15 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I stand corrected.

Most likely the chain has slipped, but you could pull it up enough to clear the obstical and set it back down. If it was a "fluke" when it was built then you would be fine, however again it could be the timing chain and you would need replacement.

The second thing however I see is still the low AMP output from the alternator. You should replace it.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Timing chain issues can happen.

However with that said, it is a RARE, make that VERY RARE occurrence related to the Durango. Think Engerizer Bunny and remember the context here is All-D.

IndyDurango

Old 01-14-2011, 09:18 AM
MavsFORMULA

Thanks Hydra and Indy, the timing chain would be the next thing I was going to take a look at, but if they rarely fail, then I will re-think that issue. It is supposed to be warm today, so I am going to re-try the tps and re-set the computer. Something that I have neglected to mention is, when you look at this engine the intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, timing cover,oil pan, etc. all appear to be 140k parts, but the block and heads are shiny, clean, black parts, and it looks to me like a lot of bolts have had wrenches on them, it looks to me like this car has been long blocked fairly recently, so there is no telling who put it together, and how it was put together. Being an old school mechanic, I just feel like I should be able to fix a miss in an engine that holds good oil pressure, and has 125psi of compression in all cylinders? These things are why I am kind of looking at the whole big picture rather than zooming in on a particular this or that. Thanks a lot for your input, I will report back today on the results of that tps replacement. Thanks again!!!

Old 01-14-2011, 10:34 AM
MavsFORMULA

Latest update, just replaced the tps again, reset the computer by disconnecting the battery cable for several minutes, idle speed is normal, but engine miss, rough idle is still there...

Old 01-14-2011, 10:35 AM
MavsFORMULA

Did I mention that I manage an auto parts store? Try this and try that is very doable for me...

Old 01-14-2011, 12:04 PM
Biff85ta
Professional

Originally Posted by MavsFORMULA
on your average v-8 engine I would have already done this, but on this 5.2 the distributor does not have a gear on the bottom, it has a slot in the end of the distributor shaft, so, it is either correct, or it is 180 degrees out, but thanks a lot for taking the time to respond, any other ideas that you have will be thoroughly read, and greatly appreciated!

You might just need to re index the oil pump drive shaft so you can get the dizzy in the correct position. In the past this would not have been an issue but on newer vehicles I can see where it could pose a slight problem.

P.S. Are you sure you don't have an intake leak? I have seen on here that it is common that the tray at the bottom of the plenum sucks oil and air into the engine.

Last edited by Biff85ta; 01-14-2011 at 12:08 PM.