1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

HEELLLLPPPP! With a 5.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:04 PM
MavsFORMULA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEELLLLPPPP! With a 5.2

My son owns a 99 Durango 5.2 @ approx 140k miles, the symptom that we are having is an engine miss at and just above idle. I have replaced the distributor/cam sensor, plugs (with champion copper cores), distributor cap, rotor and spark plug wires (all borg warners), and cleaned the fuel injectors 3 times. The only thing that I can find that is out of whack, is, when the #1 cyl is @ tdc on the compression stroke, the distributor rotor is pointing 2 holes clockwise from where it should be. On this engine you can not move the distributor far enough to accomodate, because the distributor cap screw bosses run into the intake manifold. I have wired the cap (1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2) to accomodate where the rotor is pointing with #1 at tdc. My question is, how critical is it that the dist. rotor points to the marked #1 spot on the cam position sensor with #1 @ tdc? If I am not mistaken, the only way to correct this is to pull the intake manifold, and re-position the distributor/oil pump drive gear & shaft

Old 01-08-2011, 07:21 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't over diagnosis/repair it.

Check/swap/replace TPS, clean/swap replace IAT, triple check the charge on the battery UNDER LOAD. Should be done from there.

$150 and all new replacements on those three maybe the easiest solution overall.

IndyDurango

Old 01-08-2011, 07:56 PM
MavsFORMULA
Default Thanks Indy

Thanks for you input, I'll look into/replace those tommorrow!

Old 01-08-2011, 08:05 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

Your welcome.

Double check your plug wires on the firing order. Here is the PROPER layout for your 5.2 (and my 5.9 )

Name:  firingorder.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  29.7 KB

IndyD

Old 01-08-2011, 09:46 PM
durango12

check your coil also

Old 01-09-2011, 07:07 PM
MavsFORMULA

Thanks again, here is an update if you have the time, distributor is wired just like your diagram, replaced the iat today, but didnt change anything, replaced the tps, and the new one made the thing idle at 1800rpm, so i put the old one back on. the battery voltage never dropped below 12 under a load, the alternator put out 77 amps, i dont see a problem there at all. any other ideas? I still cant help but wonder about the #1 wire on the cap being 2 holes off from the #1 position on the cam position sensor. i have 2 engine codes stored, intermittent miss on cyl#8, and intermittent cam position or crank position sensor (both are new). thanks in advance!

Old 01-09-2011, 07:09 PM
MavsFORMULA

oh, the coil is new also...

Old 01-09-2011, 08:32 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

Assuming the NEW TPS is okay and not defective, put it back in and reset the PCM. The advanced RPMs is certainly a sign that the inputs from the OLD TPS to the NEW TPS are dramatically different. Idle RPM is about 600. Could certainly be that old TPS still.

IndyDurango

Old 01-11-2011, 09:01 AM
MavsFORMULA

Thanks again, it's about 8 degrees outside right now, but as soon as it warms up a little bit, I will re-install that tps and pull a battery cable for a few minutes to reset the pcm. Thanks so much for your input. The last Dodge that I was under the hood of was my grandfathers 63 Polara, so I am definitely not up to speed on the late model electronics, but I am determined to fix the miss in this Durango!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:19 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MavsFORMULA
the alternator put out 77 amps, i dont see a problem there at all. any other ideas?
OEM output of the alternator (1999) is 136 amps. I see a problem?

The only thing that I can find that is out of whack, is, when the #1 cyl is @ tdc on the compression stroke, the distributor rotor is pointing 2 holes clockwise from where it should be. On this engine you can not move the distributor far enough to accomodate, because the distributor cap screw bosses run into the intake manifold.
Incorrect, I believe this is a second issue. What you would do to "fix" this issue is;

1. Ensure that the motor is at 6 degrees before TDC on compression stroke. Verify that the piston is almost to the top.
2. Remove the distributor cap.
3. Remove the distributor hold down screw and holder (or just enough to swing the holder out of the way).
4. Grasp the rotor and gently pull the distributor from the intake manifold straight up slightly. Be careful as when you pull up you will feel the rotor turn slightly as it releases from the drive gear. Once it comes fully clear of the drive gear (about 3" up) turn the rotor back to it's correct position (basically 2 - 3 gear tooth) then set it back down.
5. Replace the hold down bolt but do not tighten.

Follow the rest of these instructions to index the distributor: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...er-please.html