1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Frozen windows

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 11:06 PM
samnbensdad
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frozen windows

Word to the wise... do not attempt to roll down your windows when they are covered in ice. Window regulator/motor = $90

Old 01-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Biff85ta
Professional

Mine pretty much don't work if it is really cold. They seem to like the doors freeze to the seals.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:11 AM
sparkmarv
Rookie

Mine too, always froze.

Whats with this!?!?

Old 01-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The seals around the windows are not 100% waterproof. There will always be a miniscule gap around the windows. As we all know, glass is not perfectly smooth. The water freezes into the tiny holes and scratches of the glass and then to the rubber seals. Thus bonding the glass and rubber together. If you use a scraper, you can work it in between the seal and glass to weaken the bond and then you can lower the windows. Best bet is to scrape off all the snow and ice on the window as well. HTH.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:02 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

What I do as a habit is go around the truck and the windows I might be opening on that drive I open and slam the door shut a couple times to loosen up the ice in the weatherstripping. Be sure to give it a nice good slam but not too hard or you could be looking at more than just a stupid motor to replace.

Old 01-13-2011, 02:54 PM
branquelo

when they are covered in ice
How did this happen??? Did you empty your freezer and attach the contents to your D?

Or is this one of those instances where frozen water mysteriously falls from the sky? (I've heard rumors about this phenomenon but never actually verified it. Personally, I think it's just another internet myth...)

Old 01-13-2011, 02:59 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by branquelo
Or is this one of those instances where frozen water mysteriously falls from the sky?

I've been getting that ice every morning here and have yet to have a hard working motor getting the motor down.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The other thing you can do is allow just a small bit of movement going up (not closing the window up all the way tight). When you get in after the freeze (the next morning) press the window up like you are finally fully closing the window and they will pop loose. Basically the window and seal press against eachother when just moving down, however when going up there is vertually nothing so it pulls free. Just don't leave it too far down that the top seal is exposed, I'm talking just slightly.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:05 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Originally Posted by branquelo
How did this happen??? Did you empty your freezer and attach the contents to your D?

Or is this one of those instances where frozen water mysteriously falls from the sky? (I've heard rumors about this phenomenon but never actually verified it. Personally, I think it's just another internet myth...)
If you have ever lived in the midwest or up north, you'd understand; nonetheless, here's your explanation:

It snowed all day... I drove home from work with the heat on, which melted the snow on the windows... then the truck sat in the driveway overnight with moisture on the windows with temps in the teens.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:15 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00

I've been getting that ice every morning here and have yet to have a hard working motor getting the motor down.
I've never had this happen either. It may be that my window motor was going to fail soon anyway, but I didn't have any issues before this.

Quick Reply: Frozen windows