1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Oil Pressure gauge drops and rises.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 08:38 PM
edgadz1955
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
Glad to hear it's taken care of now, and it was just a switch.
Ram05red wrote in comment 30: Well just changed the oil sending switch and that didn't fix the problem.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:41 PM
edgadz1955
Amateur

Originally Posted by that_guy
So now you're saying the valley and the valve covers are the same. Yet again you're just making up whatever supports your argument.
No, what I actually wrote was Which mean that the crankcase, valley, and valve covers share internal atmosphere.

Duh.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:45 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

This is funny, you really are scraping the bottom of the barrel here. You still have yet to provide any widespread proof of magnum engines with sludge. Why don't you just stop making yourself look like a fool and leave already? (And you apparently can't read)

Old 03-16-2018, 10:11 AM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by edgadz1955
Ram05red wrote in comment 30: Well just changed the oil sending switch and that didn't fix the problem.

and then in post 65 he said that it was fixed, (changed oil sender and oil flush) you clearly arent reading what is posted

Originally Posted by Ram05red
Well after changing the oil sending switch and draining the oil and running a flush through it it seems to be working okay now
Now it's on to the timing chain change.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:08 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Dang, did I miss a bunch of fun in my own thread! But I do have to say, @edgadz1955 does bring up some points, but he has a lot of misinterpretations. I think his ideas hold some merit, which caused the misinterpretations in the first place. Plain and simple, its just over thought.

1. Because of the leaking plenum gasket, contaminants are not properly removed from the crankcase. The crankcase ventilation system requires specific manifold pressure to operate and this pressure is compromised by the leak.
2. Engine oil is subjected to increased oxidation from exposure to manifold air through the leaking gasket.
3. When the intake manifold gaskets are compromised as a side-effect of the plenum gasket failure, coolant seeps into the oil and causes additional contamination.
4. There is increased cylinder blowby as the rings become clogged with deteriorated oil, which further increases oil contamination and sludge buildup.
Here In #23: 1. You say because leaking plenum gasket, contaminants are not properly removed from the crankcase. I would argue that plenum pressure fluctuates very widely from idle through WOT in the intake manifold, thus the vacuum remains the same, plus the PVC is still under vacuum and high on the valve cover, therefore the crankcase is remaining under the same necessary vacuum and just sipping on some oil, thus negating your argument. 2. No oxygen is getting in. The crankcase is under vacuum, the plenum is under vacuum, there is no charge of oxygen, thus this idea is negated. 3. Coolant does not seep into oil because of plenum failure, if it did then hold on to your seats! The cooling system is completely separate, distinct, and under pressure thus again negating your claim. It simply is not happening. 4. There is no increase blowby simply because of oil getting into the plenum. The piston has a heck of a lot more psi which overrides and a few bars of vacuum. Blowby is going to come in no matter what, and its the PVC's job to remove the blowby which lowers acidity levels. Again your claim is negated.
As far as your plenum "explanation", do you not understand what the plenum is? It combines air and fuel and feeds it into the combustion chamber. When the plenum gasket leaks, oil enters the plenum, where it combines with fuel and is then either burned or recirculated in the engine. Do you know what one of the primary causes of sludge is? Fuel contaminating the engine oil. So your claim that oil being contaminated by fuel in the plenum doesn't cause problems is obviously wrong on just that one point alone.
Here in #43: Yes oil is sucked into the plenum, then pulled into the motor. However it is not recirculated in the engine. It burns and gas goes out the exhaust. Now it wont burn clean, thus more deposits are formed in the cylinder, then the rings could wear premature and because of this some excess NOx could be formed and enter the oil by way of higher blowby, this would be because of ring wear. However, a good oil change regimen will remove this, and is one reason why I do 5000 mile oil changes. I've ran multiple tests and had very low engine wear at 7500, but for all around I personally just do 5000, each to their own. I think were are mainly on the same page, but your failing to comprehend some of the other issues you mention, they simply are not all occurring, and are part of the misconceptions.
Why would a vehicle owner not follow the factory recommended maintenance intervals? Should the average owner be a psychic and know that the intervals in the owner and service manuals aren't necessarily correct, particularly when the plenum gasket leaks.
Here in #52: I understand your point, however the factory recommended maintenance intervals are only for equipment operating correctly, and under the standards they made. An engine with a blown plenum is not operating correct thus the idea that continuing to operate it in that fashion and that it won't create other issues? If a motor is sucking oil like crazy, as the 5.2L and 5.9L motor can, then the owners should have had it fixed, thus the TSB's functionality is lost.

Now a 5.9L and 5.2L motor with intermittent low oil when idling (no blown plenum) can usually be contributed to the PVC valve being stuck, therefore when the engine loses RPM, the excess blowby in the crankcase gets to high and causes the oil pump to stop working and "cavitates". Air is easier to suck the oil and boom, no oil pressure. First things first, #1 replace the PVC valve and grommets as they get hard, only a few bucks. I already went over this in a different thread. Also, running an oil with a bit higher viscosity improver may help, something like a Mobile 1 High Mileage 10w-30.

Finally, I got sick and tired of trying to read through all the spew this great thread had to offer, so I stopped reading and won't comment on everything. However, had the plenum been repaired when it blew, there wouldn't have been an issue. But I will assume because of the blown plenum gasket your particular situation, the engine ran terrible and ate oil, and due to the lack of maintenance this caused your dilemma and buildup. This just goes to show that people need to follow the owners manual and when there's a question, have it looked at by a good mechanic. I don't know of a perfect mass produced motor, or any part, and both these great engineers here have gone in great lengths to explain this. And finally, the 4.7L has a different intake manifold just so everyone knows.

The godfather has spoken There is no sludge issue, never has been!

Old 06-12-2018, 01:07 PM
edgadz1955
Amateur

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
There is no sludge issue, never has been!
That's the root of your misconception right there. You are conflating two related but distinct problems.

1. The Magnum engines in 3.9L, 5.2L and 5.9L displacements were produced from 1992 through 2003. Engines in those sizes from that particular time period have a greater propensity to form sludge. They're not alone -- engines from other manufacturers had similar issues during that time period. Most notorious was Toyota, which settled a sludge lawsuit affecting 3.5 million vehicles in 2007.

2. The design of the plenum on those '92-'03 Magnum engines was faulty. It exacerbated the propensity to sludge.

In essence, then, there is a sludge issue and the plenum design makes the sludge issue worse.

Changing oil more frequently, using non-approved viscosity, and other "fixes" are merely bandaids that temporarily reduce or mask the inherent problem, which is that the higher temperatures and closer tolerances of '92+ engines compared to earlier LA engines created ideal conditions for sludge formation.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:50 PM
that_guy
Champion

That's the root of your misconception right there. You are conflating two related but distinct problems.

1. The Magnum engines in 3.9L, 5.2L and 5.9L displacements were produced from 1992 through 2003. Engines in those sizes from that particular time period have a greater propensity to form sludge. They're not alone -- engines from other manufacturers had similar issues during that time period. Most notorious was Toyota, which settled a sludge lawsuit affecting 3.5 million vehicles in 2007.

2. The design of the plenum on those '92-'03 Magnum engines was faulty. It exacerbated the propensity to sludge.

In essence, then, there is a sludge issue and the plenum design makes the sludge issue worse.

Changing oil more frequently, using non-approved viscosity, and other "fixes" are merely bandaids that temporarily reduce or mask the inherent problem, which is that the higher temperatures and closer tolerances of '92+ engines compared to earlier LA engines created ideal conditions for sludge formation.
I know lots of us are thinking it.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:37 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

And there you go thinking again. It's obvious you don't even know the correct oil type/ weight by your own answer. You haven't proved anything except continuously pushing nonsense. Theres no sludge, never has been.

But I'm fascinated: So please, in your opinion;
1.if the plenum wasn't ever an issue, explain why you "think" there is an issue with the rest of the engine creating sluge which your talking about?

And please define your "sluge" you think you would find in these engines that would not be fitted with a bad plenum?

Old 01-22-2021, 07:14 PM
Shane Mars
Default That thing got a Hemi

Originally Posted by Ram05red
Well just changed the oil sending switch and that didn't fix the problem. I also changed the oil and filter and that didn't fix the problem. Any Ideas now?
Drop the plug and you filter and let her drain when your dry put plug and old filter back in unless old filter is in bad shape then use a new one anyways put 5 gallons diesel fuel in the top of motor where you put the oil crank the truck let it idle do not rev engine let it idle for around 4-5 minutes turn it off drain repeat the process if it's really thick send me a thank you cause I'm a bow tie man

Old 01-22-2021, 07:38 PM
that_guy
Champion

Originally Posted by Shane Mars
Drop the plug and you filter and let her drain when your dry put plug and old filter back in unless old filter is in bad shape then use a new one anyways put 5 gallons diesel fuel in the top of motor where you put the oil crank the truck let it idle do not rev engine let it idle for around 4-5 minutes turn it off drain repeat the process if it's really thick send me a thank you cause I'm a bow tie man
Or ban the dumbass spammer

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure gauge drops and rises.