1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

LOTS of problems!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 11:52 AM
DodgeGirL337
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation LOTS of problems!

New to the forum, joined specifically because i LOVE Dodge in general, I have a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4 4.7L V8 magnum

Last year it broke down and we have replaced the fuel tank/fuel pump/fuel lines, alternator and belt. still having problems. After all this was replaced it worked for about a day, we took it for 3 test drives, on the last one, it just died in the middle of the road, we were driving then all of a sudden everything just went dead. We kept starting it and moving it, but it just kept dying. We got it about 5 miles down the road and we seen flames shooting out from underneath (just one flame out of a hole in the muffler (A new problem)

then the air intake had flames coming out when trying to start it (after spraying starter fluid in it)

After that we couldn't get it started and had to have it towed back. Because of the below 0 temps and near foot of snow, we haven't been able to work on it anymore.

After reading on problems with this model, i seen that the Powertrain Control module might be the problem? It never explained to much about what SPECIFICALLY it would do if there were problems other then it stalling or not starting, and causing the Malfunction indicator light to appear on the dash.

I know its easy to reset the PCM but im not sure if thats what the problem is, or if it needs to be replaced completely? Or if its the Timing chain? or something else entirely.

If anyone has any ideas on what it might be i'd appreciate it! thanks!

Old 01-23-2011, 12:00 PM
swiss
Amateur

Backfiring/blowing flames out of intake tells me you have an intake valve stuck open. Start with a compression test, if you find a cylinder lower than the rest or under 100psi pull the vavle cover and inspect the vavle train on that side for something broken.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Aug
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely agree with the affection for the Dodge - especially the Durangos (I had a Mustang previous).

Not sure if this would be the most comprehensive approach, but have you considered pulling codes and/or removing a couple of spark plugs and looking at their condition? It feels too coincidental that the fuel system was working on and it's having the problems.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:29 PM
DodgeGirL337

Originally Posted by Aug
Definitely agree with the affection for the Dodge - especially the Durangos (I had a Mustang previous).

Not sure if this would be the most comprehensive approach, but have you considered pulling codes and/or removing a couple of spark plugs and looking at their condition? It feels too coincidental that the fuel system was working on and it's having the problems.
Thats actually something else we had replaced (forgot about it) we replaced all 8 spark plugs, 1 was horrible looking, but mostly they were fine..we replaced them anyways though.

When it first broke down it was originally the fuel pump that was wrong, but then everything else seemed to be messing up so once we replaced the different problems that we KNEW were wrong, its having the current problem....which what led me to believe it was the PCM needed to be reset, I thought it may be causing it to shut down. But i've never been able to find anything specifically about it.

And swiss...im going to check the intake valves here in the next couple of days...

im still open to any suggestions!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:53 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I've seen the use of starter fluid on a fuel injected motor cause flames to pop out ot the throttle body so in my opinion I don't think you have a bad valve. Should you still do the compression test, ya, that's always a good thing.

Have you replaced the battery or had it load tested?

Clean the Throttle Body and IAC, and reset the PCM. Did you use regular Champion Copper wpark plugs (OEM)?

Next, if you are still having issues then it could be a bad IAC, TPS, or a bad PCM. If it is the PCM you can get one off Ebay pre-flashed with your trucks information ready for direct install.

Could also be a bad crank shaft or cam sensor.

One last thing would be to check your air intake hoses because if you have a mouse in there they can block the air from getting to the motor.

FIRST!
Has your check engine light went on yet? Any codes?

Old 01-23-2011, 07:47 PM
DodgeGirL337

I used Bosch Platinum Spark Plugs from Autozone

I also haven't had it checked to see error codes yet. My uncle has a machine, but a mechanic in town is really good to me (We've taken all of our cars to him, and i think we payed for his house...lol) and i'm going to tow it down there and have him check the codes for us.

I never thought about the Air intake hose, If i remember correctly i did have a mouse in the car, and maybe it got stuck in there...it is a possibility, so i thank you for that.

I'm DEFINITELY going to be cleaning the Throttle body and IAC, and resetting the PCM...

I have done a compression test (when I changed the plugs) and everything was fine with that.

I also did replace the battery, its brand new as well.

As for everything else you mentioned, i'm definitely going to check all of those...

I REALLY appreciate it Hydrashocker!

I'll update you with whatever I find...hopefully its just about cleaning everything or resetting the PCM...

Old 01-23-2011, 08:39 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeGirL337
I used Bosch Platinum Spark Plugs from Autozone
this is part of the problem, you should use only champion copper core plugs in the right heat range

Old 01-24-2011, 04:50 AM
coreybv
Veteran

You said the compression test was fine but when you changed plugs there were 7 good ones and one nasty one?

Seems odd. Might want to follow that lead...

Also get rid if the platinums and put in the el-cheapo copper cores...

Check all of the things that Hydra suggested. He knows his stuff.

And try to avoid using starting fluid except in the most desperate of circumstances. I've seen it do some really bad things. (Having said that, I do usually keep a can around, I just save it for those "desperate" circumstances....)

Old 01-24-2011, 07:17 AM
swiss
Amateur

Originally Posted by coreybv
You said the compression test was fine but when you changed plugs there were 7 good ones and one nasty one?

Seems odd. Might want to follow that lead...

Also get rid if the platinums and put in the el-cheapo copper cores...

Check all of the things that Hydra suggested. He knows his stuff.

And try to avoid using starting fluid except in the most desperate of circumstances. I've seen it do some really bad things. (Having said that, I do usually keep a can around, I just save it for those "desperate" circumstances....)
That's what i'm sayin. If a plug looks bad, I am guessing oily,gassy smell,etc. Clear indicator that cylinder is a no bueno. It's not firing because of ignition or compression. I would be testing that coil pack and the comp in that cylinder in particular.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:38 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

+3...4.....5......whatever it is. NO PLATINUM.....I will definitely speak for the reliability and performance of the Bosch Platinum plugs but not on this engine..I had Platinum +4's on my Jeep 4.0 prior to my D but not on the 4.7

Your lucky Hydra hasnt found this out yet.......when he does.........lets just say bring a apple and notebook because he will take you to school.

Quick Reply: LOTS of problems!