1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Remote door lock weirdness...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 06:36 PM
coreybv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote door lock weirdness...

So the other day I drove to work in heavy fog and had the headlights on. Like an idiot I forgot to shut them off (still to bright out to notice, and I'm used to vehicles where you don't have to worry about it). Had to get a jump start that night after work.

The vehicle I got a jump from had some pretty wicked corrosion on the battery terminals, so I had to twist and squeeze quite a bit to get a good connection, with some pretty good sparking going on in the process...

Ever since then, I've noticed a few minor but annoying things. First, the dome lights no longer come on when I unlock the doors with the remote, or when I open the doors. They still work fine when I operate them manually.

Also, the remote won't lock the doors when the truck is cold. I can leave work, it unlocks the doors just fine, drive half a mile to the gas station, and the remote won't lock the doors. Drive 45 minutes home, then it works fine. Seems very odd to me.... (It's possible that this part is unrelated, but I did first notice it at about the same time.)

I've checked fuses, switches, *****, etc... I can't find anything obvious that would be causing these oddities. Also haven't noticed anything more serious....

Any thoughts?

Last edited by coreybv; 01-23-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:04 PM
jmess
Veteran

most of the door lock problems people on here seems to be directly related to moisture. and you said you were driving in some heavy fog so maybe thats all it is. just a guess though

Old 01-24-2011, 04:33 AM
topdogcustoms
Captain

sounds like you need a new battery

Old 01-24-2011, 04:38 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Nah, I can't blame it on the fog.

It's a good thought, and I agree that moisture can cause all kinds of strange stuff, but it's just not feeling right. We've had much damper weather than this and it hasn't been an issue.

I'm really thinking something popped during the sketchy jump start. Just can't figure out what it might have been.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:40 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by topdogcustoms
sounds like you need a new battery
This I can believe.

My battery is old, it's been ridiculously abused, and I know that bad batteries can cause all sorts of weirdness in these vehicles...

I'll swap in a new one as soon as I can afford a good one.

(But I'm still betting it won't solve the problem... lol...)

Old 01-25-2011, 09:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Most likely it was the arching of the connections got something off track in the CTM causing the screw up until you restart which essentually reset the CTM and got it back on track. Arching can cause a lot of electrical issues. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:51 AM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.
Well, I'm not terribly "worried" about it, but I would like to have the dome lights working properly again someday... LOL...

(EDIT: It's not back on track, been doing the same thing ever since, several days now.... How would one go about manually resetting the CTM? Anything that's going to involve removing a battery cable I might as well do now, before I go through the hassle of reprogramming my radio stations... lol...)

Last edited by coreybv; 01-26-2011 at 04:00 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:17 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yup it would be same as resetting the pcm, unhook the battery, hold key to 'start' for 15-30 seconds and you should be all set

Old 01-26-2011, 12:17 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
yup it would be same as resetting the pcm, unhook the battery, hold key to 'start' for 15-30 seconds and you should be all set
Hmm... Seems like I wouldn't be all set until I hooked the battery back up. (Sorry, couldn't resist... )

Sounds easy enough. I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

Thanks.

Old 01-26-2011, 02:41 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

lol, well yea, of course you need to hook the battery up, but the computers are reset before you hook it back up

Quick Reply: Remote door lock weirdness...