1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Question about an oil burning issue.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:45 PM
rhillman75
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about an oil burning issue.

I posted originally about my 2001 Durango 5.9 Magnum and the oil it was burning (about 1 quart in a week to a week and a half) the other evening. I spoke to 2 techs at a dealership and had started the idea of doing a rebuild of everything from oil pan, rings, bearings, head gaskets, etc. The Durango has almost 200,000 miles on it and runs perfect except for the oil issue and it does seem to have a possible antifreeze burning issue that has not been FULLY ruled out as to its where abouts. I idi however get the same response from both techs regarding the 4.7 and the 5.9 that I thought some of you may be interested in. I was told by both of them that they REALLY push the use of Lucas Oil Stabilizer in the 4.7 and the 5.9 engines when they start to burn oil. One tech acutally stated that he uses 3 and yes I did say 3 1 quart bottles and 2 quarts of 10W 30 oil. He said that the more miles that the engine sees it can actually make the oil pressure drop. I do NOT know of this and this is the first time hearing about adding a straight synthetic lube but I am wondering if it could get me by for a few more thousand miles since it is either parking it and starting the rebuild when I have no back up vehicle or if this is just a band-aid to a on-going problem. I have 4 options... rebuild it now, rebuild it later, try this possible temporary solution and see if it "fixes" it, or sell it. I'd hate to sell it considering it is in phenomenal condition and it is PAID OFF!

Old 01-27-2011, 11:52 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Stay away from the additives because they are BS!

You most likely have a Pentium gasket issue. Remove the intake manifold and re-seal it.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:28 AM
96magnumram
Professional

Of course the more miles on an engine, the less OP it can have, the clearances on main bearings will not stay to factory specs forever. I agree with Hydra on the oil additives too and I have worked for an oil company for 11 years. If you are using a good quality engine oil then everything your engine needs is already blended into the oil...adding additives can throw the additive package off that the oil company has built into their oils. If you are using a single viscosity engine oil, like SAE 40, 30 or 50, the oil additives CAN help, as single viscosity, non detergent oils do not have the additives built into them that multi-viscosity oils do.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:18 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i agree with both of the above, oil additives are the modern equivalent to snake oil, unregulated (who the hell knows what is actually in them) and useless, will probably case more harm than good. that being said, please find a different dealership to do the work for you if you cannot do it yourself, or at the very least tell them you are not leaving it w/o talking to the tech who will be doing the work to see if he is as bad as the other two.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:13 PM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
You most likely have a Pentium gasket issue. Remove the intake manifold and re-seal it.
A Pentium gasket??? What? We have intel inside now?... JK!!!

Old 01-28-2011, 02:48 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by rhillman75
One tech acutally stated that he uses 3 and yes I did say 3 1 quart bottles and 2 quarts of 10W 30 oil.
Find a different shop. I wouldn't let that guy put air in my tires.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:26 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dans01Durango
A Pentium gasket??? What? We have intel inside now?... JK!!!
Smart ***!......

"Intake Manifold Plenum Gasket"

Last edited by hydrashocker; 01-29-2011 at 12:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Question about an oil burning issue.