1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Newbie and Chip/Programmer Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 04:20 PM
xthumpx
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie and Chip/Programmer Question

I just want to say hi to all of you, and I look forward to all of our future conversations as I KNOW there will be many!

My question is this: Would it be redundant to put a Jet Performance Stage 1 chip in my Durango AND use a Hypertech Max Energy power progammer? As I understand it the Jet Chip burns all of the fuel more efficiently, and the way I understand it the Hypertech Programmer (among many things) burns the fuel more efficiently. So, to have both in my Durango would it be a waste?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-28-2011, 05:33 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

No I don't think you understand what the Jet Performance chip does. It completely takes over your PCM and does not do much for fuel economy. It's used to increase horsepower and torque and permanently screws with your factory tuning.

All I can recommend is the SuperChips power programmer. Basically what it does is has different modes to tune your computer. You can choose from Performance, Fuel Economy, and best of all, tune it back to stock.

I've seen a handful of people that have had bad things happen to their truck by using the Jet chip and it's a bit exadurated on how much it exactly "helps" your ride.

Best bet is to just go solo with the SuperChips programmer and ditch the Jet chip idea. Just my .02

Haven't heard too much about Hypertech and it seems to be abou the same price as SuperChips so I'd say wait for some others that have experience with the brand.

Last edited by WhiteWidow00; 01-28-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:28 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Chips are garbage piggy backs to the PCM and the PCM learns them and corrects the signals. You need to change the PCM, not try to fool it. Go get a programmer and do it right.

Superchips
Hypertech
SCT Tuner

Old 01-29-2011, 12:14 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

the chips are useless, the PCM will learn that the chip is there, adjust to the 'chip' and learn its way back to the stock settings, your best bet is the programmer

Old 01-29-2011, 01:25 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 01-29-2011, 03:09 PM
xthumpx
Amateur

That settles it. Chip out, programmer in. You all are the best. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Newbie and Chip/Programmer Question