1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

What speakers are you using in the doors.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the Infinity system so I have mini amplifiers on the speaker connection. I'll take this over to the Ram 2nd gen section.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:33 AM
coreybv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
I have the Infinity system so I have mini amplifiers on the speaker connection. I'll take this over to the Ram 2nd gen section.
Be careful on your speakers. I don't know specifically on your system, but pretty much every time I've seen the "weird" OEM setups like that, the speakers have a pretty oddball resistance. ("Standard" aftermarket car audio stuff is 4 ohm. I've seen OEM stuff all the way from 1 ohm up to 16 ohm.)

Replace them with a higher resistance speaker, and it won't get as loud with the same power, it won't do any damage, but your balance and fader controls will be out of whack. Replace with a lower resistance speaker and it will get louder than stock, but you run a risk of burning up the amp. (The amp will basically see the lower resistance as a short.)

There's more to it than just getting a speaker that physically fits. You want to find something as close as possible to the same resistance as what came stock.

Last edited by coreybv; 01-31-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:15 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

Heres a link from the D.O.C thread on the reference speakers...hopefully this should shed some light on the situation.

http://durangoclub.com/forum/viewtop...eakers&start=0

Old 01-31-2011, 08:18 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by coreybv
Be careful on your speakers. I don't know specifically on your system, but pretty much every time I've seen the "weird" OEM setups like that, the speakers have a pretty oddball resistance. ("Standard" aftermarket car audio stuff is 4 ohm. I've seen OEM stuff all the way from 1 ohm up to 16 ohm.)
This is why whenever I replace speakers, I bypass the factory amp and install an aftermarket amp. Saves on costs up down the road aswell as making the job a lot less PITA.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:12 PM
jl10w3s

Originally Posted by justfrfun
My back door speakers are done!! I replaced one in the driver door and it don't sound very good.More of a mid,high range. We have kids so no sub in the back. But when the kids aren't with us we like to rock out. So a good full range replacement is what i'm after. And yes it has the infinity with the little amps at the speaker. We are going to change the deck later. Just wondering what every one is stuffing in the doors
My vehicle had the infinity system with 1 amp at the passenger kick but i have worked on the ram s with the amps on the backs of the 6x9s but have never ran into that type of amp setup on the 01 durangos. I have kenwood excelon kfc-x1730 fullranges all around in my 01 and i amped them with a kenwood excelon xr-4s amp and they sound amazing and get as loud as you should ever need coaxials to be. If you want to do seperates, which will sound better anyway on account of the crossovers they come with to make your mids play mid-bass only and your tweeters to play highs only. I would recommend the kenwood excelon kfc-x1730p s if you want midrange priced seperates or for a little more dough i would recommend the focal polyglass 165v30's which will absolutely blow you away. You can find both brands on crutchfield.com but focal also has a website if you want to look into them a little more; "focal-america.com"

Old 03-05-2011, 11:57 PM
jaz27
Rookie

So I know that some if these post are a bit old so what would be the model number for the infinity's?? I have an 02 slt no infinity set up.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Quick Reply: What speakers are you using in the doors.