1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 durango help

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 12:07 PM
AlwaysBurning
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 durango help

I have a 1999 dodge durango Auto. 5.4L I was driving to the coast, went fishing for the day came back that after noon and now my car will not leave first gear, it worked perfect the whole time until I got back to my car.. It shifts out of first about 10 percent of the time and when it does it will run perfect but as soon as I come to a stop or something where I need first it will do it again and most likely not shift out of first. It will stay at redline or high Rpms if I make it.. Do you guys think this could be a little problem or Transmission for sure?? Just trying to get a heads up before I take into a shop or try and decide what I am going to do considering I have no money. for something really expensive..

Any help would be awesome. both on here or pms.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:18 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by AlwaysBurning
I have a 1999 dodge durango Auto. 5.4L
No you don't.

Originally Posted by AlwaysBurning
It will stay at redline or high Rpms if I make it..
Don't do this because making your engine redline will cause your engine to blow, on top of your transmission going out. So if it's not shifting out of 1st, drive slow or don't drive.

Based on what you say, you could have a problem as simple as just a fluid change or band adjustment, or your transmissions shot.

First off let's do a transmission fluid REPLACEMENT and not a purge. Doing a fluid flush/purge does not completely swap all fluid and leaves dirt and contaminants in your tranny.
Lets do a filter change while the pan is open to have a new filter and make things all happy.

First off let me ask if you have either the 5.2 or the 5.9? 5.4 is a Ford engine, not a Mopar engine.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:34 PM
01 6.3L RT
Professional

This is the same thing that happened to my 46re. The big clip holding overdrive snapped into three pieces ,,,two in the pan ,,one jammed the shifter, sounds like yu had same problem i had ....I ended up to a complete rebuild .When you pull the pan off , check if there are piece of a clip in bottom of pan and metal shavings ...Now next question ......Has anyone here heard of what they call the "" diesel package"" they have for the 46re`s??

Old 02-02-2011, 10:59 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I'm not sure what you mean by diesel package. No I haven't heard about it, although I've heard of the Mopar Extreme Duty rebuild kit for the 46re and 47re. This is 100% for towing however and it's mainly intended for 26,000 GVWR.

Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but it's my .02 on things I've heard of in the ballpark of what you're saying.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:14 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could also be a Governor valve?

Never heard of the "diesel package" as they only installed the heavy duty trans 47RE and 48RE in the Cummins and V-10?

Quick Reply: 99 durango help