1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Stachi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need transmission help

Hello gentleman, this is my first post here as I am a new member. I am the very proud owner of a 2000 Durango 4.7, 4x4 with 153,000 miles on her. I bought her from the original owner who brought her to the shop I worked at for service for three years until he sold her to me. I have owned my baby for four years now.. I absolutely love her. However, I am experiencing transmission troubles. The symptoms started over a year ago , and have progressively gotten worse. First of all, I have no reverse lights. My understanding is that this is a common problem relating to the TRS. The most pressing issue is that I am now stuck in limp mode. The problem was intermittent for the past year, would go into limp mode, and become fully operational after either sitting over night, or driving over a monster pothole. I thought at first , perhaps a lose connector. Checked all external wiring connectors, all was good with no corrosion noticed. When shifting from park to reverse, or park to drive, it is violent. I can manually shift from third to second but need to manually shift from second back to third. I have no first gear or fourth gear. I have tried two different scanners to pull the codes and each scanner was unable to communicate. I am able to bring up the P0700 code on the HUD by cycling the ignition, but we all know this is vague. Any help would truly be appreciated.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:35 PM
Stachi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Stachi
Hello gentleman, this is my first post here as I am a new member. I am the very proud owner of a 2000 Durango 4.7, 4x4 with 153,000 miles on her. I bought her from the original owner who brought her to the shop I worked at for service for three years until he sold her to me. I have owned my baby for four years now.. I absolutely love her. However, I am experiencing transmission troubles. The symptoms started over a year ago , and have progressively gotten worse. First of all, I have no reverse lights. My understanding is that this is a common problem relating to the TRS. The most pressing issue is that I am now stuck in limp mode. The problem was intermittent for the past year, would go into limp mode, and become fully operational after either sitting over night, or driving over a monster pothole. I thought at first , perhaps a lose connector. Checked all external wiring connectors, all was good with no corrosion noticed. When shifting from park to reverse, or park to drive, it is violent. I can manually shift from third to second but need to manually shift from second back to third. I have no first gear or fourth gear. I have tried two different scanners to pull the codes and each scanner was unable to communicate. I am able to bring up the P0700 code on the HUD by cycling the ignition, but we all know this is vague. Any help would truly be appreciated.

UPDATE : 10/16/2014

I received my new Actron CP9580A in the mail today , ( new toy ! ) and was able to pull down a P0750 code....Solenoid A malfunction. Only code present. Not sure why my baby would not communicate with the two previous scanners..... I tested all of my fuses with my Power Probe III and all were good.....still wondering why the other scanners would not communicate....usually that is caused by a bad fuse...hmmmm..... Planning on replacing solenoid pack with new white plug model along with range selector upgrade to resolve reverse light failure. While I am in there, might as well install TransGo 45RFE-HD2 shift kit.....
(FEATURES: Corrects/Prevents/Reduces: 2-3 neutral, Drainback, Limp, TCC slide bang and Slip codes. Heavy Duty Accumulator plate/cover and Special accumulator seals. Has tough Snap ring, Saves Pump and VB. Includes new TC limit valve system.
NOTE: SK 45RFE and 45RFE-HD2 do not make firm shifts, they create a "quicker shift" (The transition time from the release of the present gear to the apply of the next gear).....at least what I can do without removing the trans. Might as well , the pan will be down.... Many years ago I worked in a high performance trans shop and we swore by Gil Younger and his shift kits...may he R.I.P. , we would guarantee 100 1/4 mile runs to street racers after a rebuild and a Gil Younger kit install....we catered to the GM crowd....2004R ,700R4...(Grand National and Corvette maniacs)...lol.... anyways, wish me luck with my repair. I could sure use some help finding a good price on a solenoid pack..... I am also facing a ring job on my 125 hp outboard that is hanging on my second love, my boat , aptly named "Breaking Wind" , that I use my first love to tow her with..... YIKES ! ...when problems come , mannnnn do they come all at once!

Quick Reply: Need transmission help