Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Replacing Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:29 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't that your previous question? If it had the Infinity system, you need to get another factory amp from a junkyard and plug it into the pigtails, or get an aftermarket amp and reside the whole thing.

Can you get a picture of the pigtail location? It wild be nice to have a picture of the location for my records aswell to help others in the future.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Biff85ta
Professional

Or he can just take and match up the speaker wires from either pigtail. You can use the diagram earlier in the thread for the input side of the amp and you may need to to pull the door panels and get the speaker wiring as I cannot confirm ther colors one way or the other. I would go out and pull the panel on my own but we ended up trading our durango for something a little less thirsthy. I did about the same on thing on my wifes 00 sebring vert when the infinity amp went bad.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:05 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I would imagine that would work however I'm not sure if that's the correct color codes for each wire from the amp to the speakers. Also, I would imagine that there would be a severe amount of lost quality and possible noises from doing a amp bypass.

Disclaimer: If you do end up ripping off the pigtails we are not responsible for any problems due to incorrect wiring colors based on information we have given. DO NOT BASE THE DIAGRAM I PERSONALLY HAVE GIVEN YOU ON ANYTHING EXCEPT THE WIRES THAT PLUG INTO THE RADIO!

Old 02-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Biff85ta
Professional

Between the radio and the amp plug SHOULD be the same. I would be more inclined to use the diagram on the top of the stock radio and match to the stock radio and pull the speakers to match the colors on the other pigtail. There will be leftover wires when you are done that used to be the power ground and remote turn on for the amp. I cannot say if there was a change in sound quality on my wifes car as the amp was DOA when we bought her car. I had intended to do my durango as all the speakers from the infinity which is two ohm had been replaced with four ohm stuff as well as the head unit so the amp was all that was left and was doing as much harm as good by that point.

Oh and I would test each wire for power before assuming it to be a speaker wire. It really does sound more complicated than it is. I did the wifes sebring in about an hour.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:42 PM
bigred_84

Actually I asked were the amp was first and then my next question was if there was a way to by pass the amp. I will try to get pictures.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:56 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Biff85ta
Between the radio and the amp plug SHOULD be the same.

Oh and I would test each wire for power before assuming it to be a speaker wire. It really does sound more complicated than it is. I did the wifes sebring in about an hour.

LOL.....If you state it then back it up. To simply state it and tell the users to back it up isn't really helping them.

I have a better idea, how about remove the amp and hook the wires up correctly using the manual to bypass the amp. Basically, you should remove the OEM amp and spice each wire from the head unit to the correct speaker???? Then again, what do I know?.....Just my 2 cents......The manuals that are available you can find online here: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c...b5ba589d1986ba

Old 02-16-2011, 01:57 AM
Biff85ta
Professional

He could also use this link http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/...d.php?t=127337 and make his own bypass plug and not cut anything up and have the freedom to make the harness on a bench.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:06 AM
Biff85ta
Professional

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
LOL.....If you state it then back it up. To simply state it and tell the users to back it up isn't really helping them.

I have a better idea, how about remove the amp and hook the wires up correctly using the manual to bypass the amp. Basically, you should remove the OEM amp and spice each wire from the head unit to the correct speaker???? Then again, what do I know?.....Just my 2 cents......The manuals that are available you can find online here: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c...b5ba589d1986ba
Diagrams are great but I did not have them or access to them when I did the wifes sebring. I did get it right with my method and had a working radio in a about an hour and the slack in the harness was much less than what I have seen of the durango harness pics floating around. His stereo has been messed with so I would make sure that things have not been rewired beyond the missing amp.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:55 AM
bigred_84

Biff you were correct the front door speakers were wired in different than the factory but not the back. All of the speaker wires coming out of the radio still have a harness on them and i just jumpered from those to the crossover still left behind the kickpanels. The guy before me changed the front door speakers with JL Audio C5's and tweeters the same but left the infinty speakers in the back.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:14 PM
willc

The wire setup that ya'll posted is different than the '98. i have a pink wire that i believe is the power and yellow that i don't know where to connect it to...help pleasee!

Quick Reply: Replacing Stereo