1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Anyone with crazy stereo installs? 8 Track Players?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:26 PM
branquelo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you ever been in a vehicle with seven 10 year old girls in the back seats?
Isn't that sort of thing frowned upon by law enforcement officers?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he has a point haha

Old 02-14-2011, 10:52 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

lol, windows is NOT in the game plan for this pc, probably OpenSuse w/ KDE and some sort of management, i want to be able to do more than media management, i kepe track of maintance records in an excel sheet, so that needs to work, and a couple of other little things

Old 02-14-2011, 11:05 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

ah i see going with some linux. all the carpc setups i've seen had windows ce or windows xp. I personally never learned linux to it's full extend so i don't use it very often, but for all of you that do know it it's deffinatly awesome stuff.

basically all the carpc setups i've seen always connect up to the ODB II port and usually hide a usb slim dvd drive under the driver seat, just one of those things "because you can" i'm guessing

these last few days made my consider putting a pc in my car now haha you can certainly do a ton of stuff with it like media, video recording, gaming, and turn off your check engine light before state inspections

Old 02-14-2011, 11:10 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yea linux is the way to go IMO, however i was planning on NOT having an optical drive, will probably set it up so that i can play the music thru the headunit off the ssd, linux has so much more potential then windows bc its opensource, and that makes it so much easier, im not looking for something which will play games, just osmething to get online w/, listen to music, pull up maps, keep maintance logs, and the very basic stuff, but mostly at the same time, just in case if you get what i mean.

i have not seen the systems that let you plug into the OBDII port, if you have a link to one of those systems i would love to see it, sensor data logging would be awesome, and so would being able to change the parameters sorta like a superchips or hypertech programmer.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain

for the obd port people just get a basic ELM327 device like this http://cgi.ebay.com/AUTO-SCANNER-OBD...item5640c05b58, it can read most if not all the pcm data, i don't think these will write anything or flash the ecu but they can turn off the MIL light. I have one of those cables in the link above and the software that comes with it is junk and finding good software is very hard, the only decent program I use is called pcm scan and it has tons of data logging options too.

Too bad OBD doesn't send out realtime data or i'd make a flash based program to run a ******* instrument cluster where mine is now, just put a screen in there.

Maybe if you use a superchips device connected to the usb port, it might also send data to log on your computer, then you can make presets to flash to your ecu depending on what kind of driving you'll be doing haha i need to get me a superchips soon they sound promissing.

Quick Reply: Anyone with crazy stereo installs? 8 Track Players?