1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

P0441 and coolant problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 12:06 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P0480 Cooling Fan1 Ctrl Circ Open(Low speed fan)

Check the wires and make sure none of them are split open and also check the relay and make sure its working.

I'd start by looking at that connector as this is most likely the problem for your fan not working as well.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:13 PM
OffTheTimeline
Rookie

Thanks again, widow. In order to check the connector or the ground, I'd have to remove the rubber covering under the radiator correct? I ask 'cause I might have a friend help me with all this as going to the dealer or mechanic is not something I can afford right at the moment. And IS the E-fan supposed to be on all the time or only when the rad gets hot? I thought I noticed it on before all this when I'd look under the hood. And another thing I just noticed this morning too - my oil gauge is dropping when I slow down or idle, is that a sign of needing oil or time for an oil change?

Old 02-16-2011, 01:36 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yes you will need to remove the guard under it to access the connections. The guard is there to keep from water or foreign objects getting to the wires and causing fraying or shorts.

The electric fan is temperature controlled so it will not be on all the time, but once the vehicle heats up it will kick on for a while and cool down the engine especially during stop and go traffic.

How low is your oil gauge dropping when you slow down? Keep in mind that your oil pressure is going to be higher when you're going and drops when you let off the throttle. As long as it stays within the margin on your gauge, it should be fine.

Just to be sure and keep yourself comfortable check the oil with the engine off and if the level is fine, don't worry about it and if its low add a quart depending on how low it is. If it's time for an oil change (past 3,500 miles) and its doing that I'd just replace the oil as it could be broken down if its conventional. If you have a quality synthetic it shouldn't need changing for another 1,000 or so miles if you want.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, the e-fan is hooked up to the a/c compressor. You'll notice that the fan will kick on when the compressor cycles.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:17 AM
12HILLBILLY
Rookie

this is good advice

Last edited by 12HILLBILLY; 02-17-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:27 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

If you do burp the system for air, be sure do it when the engines cold in the mornin or such. If you try and take the upper cap off while the engine is warm or hot you will severly burn yourself and make a mess.

Also it shouldn't spew everywhere like you say, it should just flow fast and let the air escape. I have a feeling you're taking the cap off while its warm once the thermostat is already open.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:41 AM
OffTheTimeline
Rookie

...and so once again, my CEL is off. aaaugh! go figure.

Quick Reply: P0441 and coolant problem?