1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Headlight switch or ctm?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:45 AM
oklahomafbody
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight switch or ctm?

Alarm went off earlier, 3 times in a row directly. If a specific sensor is tripped 3 times within a set time period it bypasses that sensor until the next unlock/lock cycle. Its a paging alarm, so it shows on the remote which sensor is tripped. Door trigger. Go check everything, still locked, looks fine. Reset it and come back in, get sat down and off it goes again. Run back out with the 9, and nothing..... Now Im suspecting alarm issue. (This alarm has been in and functioning perfectly in the D since Julyish. Was in my other car for about a year prior.) I locked the truck with its door switch and left the alarm unset. Came in, was getting ready to go back to bed, and look out. The dome lights are on. Go back out open each door and shut it with the key on and each door triggers the dash light like they should. I get in, close the door and take the key out. Light goes out, sit there a minute, light comes back on, relay on passenger side makes the normal click. Lights stay on until you turn the key back on, or turn the headlight **** all the way left. Took the domelight supervision relay out for the alarm, and still does it.

Also noticed, with the headlight **** in the normal position, when the light is already on, when you start the truck, the dome lights go off, then flicker while cranking and go back out while running. Leaving the headlight **** to the left-- domelights off-- Makes them stay out, but still get a door error when setting the alarm. Opinions? I plan to tear back into the door sill and check my taps for the dome light wires. Although, they were soldered, liquid taped, black taped, and re liquid taped. Wires are carefully and protectedly ran to the alarm brain a short distance away. Anybody run into anything similar before?

Seems like everytime I fix something on this thing, something else pops up that isnt very simple to track.

Im bout to park this thing for a while and finish the Camaro, I could have already finished it and tagged it for what Ive had to dump into the D this month. :end rant: just a little depressed.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:59 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

kind of sounds to me like one of the door switches is acting up, or you got water in the system.

however this is the exact reason why we tend to recommend against aftermarket alarms on these trucks(i recommend against them on any vehicle) bc they are known to cause electrical problems.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:16 PM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

I have eliminated the alarm as a possible cause. It is something in the truck. It had been parked for about 6 or so hours before this, and I had washed it before parking it..... I had suspected that.... Could the ctm do this without any other symptoms or faults showing up? Everything else seems to be working right. Key chimes, warning lamps and chimes, etc. Arent the door switches on these built into the door latches? Any way to test all of it seperately since the drivers door is by itself and the other 3 on one together? The Hatch is also seperate from the door triggers.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:28 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

If there was a short or a problem with the drivers door latch, you would know it. If you open the door and no dome light or chime it would be the latch or wiring. Same for the other doors.

Typically the CTM won't just have one symptom, it would have typically many symptoms showing up in the electrical system.

Why are you so sure its not the alarm?

Old 02-14-2011, 07:54 PM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

I removed the domelight relay for the alarm and it still does the same thing. Unhooked the domelight wires from the alarm where they tie into the truck. Same thing. Also while driving today, the Brake and abs lights have been on for a while, but today while driving they would go off and come back on. Never seen it do that before, so I'm guessing its tied in with this. Doors trigger the dash light/buzzer like they're supposed to when opened and closed one at a time.

Last edited by oklahomafbody; 02-14-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:21 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I believe your Brake and ABS light came on due to a failing speed sensor. Typically when it comes on and goes back off, the sensor is on it's way out, nothing to do with CTM. I'd replace the speed sensor on the transmission if the problem persists.

I also believe your door latch is just fine, because everything is functioning correctly and no problems.

I'd take the Durango in to the dealer when you get a chance to get the CTM checked out when you get a chance as it may need to be re-flashed, but be prepared to deny their claims to blame it on the alarm if you're confident its not the alarm.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 PM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

Was just wondering about the lights, I thought the ctm controlled the warning lights. I've never seen it turn them off once they come on though without turning the truck off and restarting it. Didn't think it would reset while running. I'll have to call my family that runs a service dept and see how much they'll charge to scan it. If its the ctm, does it matter if I get one from one with or without keyless entry since I'm not using it? Or does anybody know what a new one runs?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:55 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

New CTM will run you around $500.

Get a salvaged one from a junkyard and have the dealer program it for you. Much cheaper this way and its a pretty easy replacement. Also you would have wanted to get one with keyless entry because if your alarm fails down the road, you won't want to get another CTM and go through the process all over again.

The CTM however is programmed and flashed by the dealer toting VIN and vehicle, so don't worry about lost features.

Also, typically the Brake light and ABS light are controlled by the CTM because of their location, however it's not likely a failing CTM would trigger them both together. Like I said before, more than likely its a vehicle speed sensor that's triggering it. It would be a good idea to use your buddies DRB scanner and see what's it's saying though.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:35 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Discontent the aftermarket alarm fully. These have caused MANY electrical issues as Sharps have already stated.

If in fact you do have a CTM issue then you first need to ensure that that is the problem.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:09 AM
oklahomafbody
Rookie

Updating. Alarm still in and fully intact. Dome lights seem to have quit wiggin out. Still having issues with the brake and abs lights.

To clarify, these lights have been on probably 90% of the time we have owned the truck. This is not a new issue. The new issue is that they are now going off and on while driving it. Have never had it do that before. Also on a drive just a little while ago, they would go out and then abs would come back on by itself, then both. Also low speed left turns with light braking are triggering the abs pump and light. I did replace the left front wheel bearing a couple days ago, but no issues showed up before now. Im now thinking the dome light was an isolated issue, seperate from the brake and abs lights and issues. Maybe it has to do with that sensor saying ok enough is enough change me already, maybe it somehow has something to do with the new bearing assembly.

First drive with the new bearing the other night, the lights acted like they always do, back up, pull forward a few feet, hit a light bump and the two lights come on for the remainder of the drive.

Just trying to keep a "log" going i guess, in case somebody else runs into a similar problem later on. Hopefully I can track it down and find something for both issues and fix it right. I hate fixing something and not finding something totaly screwed up so you know 1000% thats definately what the problem was.

Im going to try to get the truck in tomorrow/later today and get it scanned. I'll post back with results.

On a side note. The cruise hasnt worked on this thing since we've had it. Wife and I have tried on several occasions to set it, but have not really looked into why it wasnt working, well on the drive home tonight I hit it and it worked all the way home. This thing likes messin with my head. lol

Quick Reply: Headlight switch or ctm?