1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Just b ought a 99 durango, many many questions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 02:52 PM
ricanvillin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Just b ought a 99 durango, many many questions!!!

I just bought a used 99 durango cause i just had another child and a tiny ford focus wasnt cutting it any more...It came with no owners manual so i am sooooo lost...first question is i hit the lock button on my dodge alarm twice consequatively and the car starts with no key in the engine...is this standard on durangos...the alarm tansmitter is very basic and i wouldnt expect it to have auto start...it only has open, lock and panic buttons..does anyone know how i can get a manual or downlload(prefereabley download, im pooor lol) please get backl to me quickly

Old 02-17-2011, 03:35 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Sounds to me like the previous owners had an aftermarket remote start system installed. As far as I'm aware, none of the car companies were offering remote start as a factory option back in 99.

Does the remote have the Dodge emblem on it?

Look up under the dash on the driver side, that's where remote start systems are typically installed. If you see a black box that doesn't look like a factory mounted part and has a ton of wires coming out of it, then you have your answer.

Last edited by coreybv; 02-17-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:31 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Engine start was NOT an option for the Durango, what ever happened to your ride was put there because someone ensured that would happen. Here is a free Service Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=c...b5ba589d1986ba

Get the 1998 and it is located in the first file just click it.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:43 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another sure sign if you ahve an aftermarket alarm system installed is the color of your key. Is it black or gray? If it's black, then there's an alarm installed with remote start. The gray key has a chip inside it that shuts off the demobilizer in the D to start it up. That gray key is inserted into another black box along with the alarm to activate the remote start. Enjoy it! It's great on cold mornings!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:20 AM
ricanvillin

the alarm has the dodge emblem and the key is black...well great my break line fell off while in traffic...deazler is fixin that and hes checkin up on remote start

Old 02-18-2011, 02:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Ya know what, thinking back there was a member here that DID have that same thing. It was a factory remote with with 4 buttons and had the remote start! However I don't think we ever actually got a definitive answer if it was an actual OEM system or not.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:37 PM
ricanvillin

see its a 2 button remote...open lock and panic thats it...when i double press the lock it starts the car

Old 02-18-2011, 02:38 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Ya know what, thinking back there was a member here that DID have that same thing. It was a factory remote with with 4 buttons and had the remote start! However I don't think we ever actually got a definitive answer if it was an actual OEM system or not.
I had a buddy who ran a side business installing remote starts for many years. Had contracts with local dealerships, etc... Got to be a pretty big operation for a side job.

Anyway, if I'm remembering correctly, it wasn't until around 2005 or 2006 that they started becoming available as a factory option, later in "non-luxury" vehicles. Up until that time they were considered a safety hazard, but the manufacturers eventually gave in to the money to be made....

I remember that because that's around the time that he shut the business down. Hard to sell them aftermarket when new cars are coming with them from the factory.

It's entirely possible that there was an aftermarket remote start the could be programmed to respond to one of the buttons on the factory key fob (much like you can program a universal remote to control all of the electronics in your living room...).

Old 02-18-2011, 02:43 PM
ricanvillin

ok next question....airbag light is on and wont turn off....anyone know why...once again dealer has no clue said they inspected it all was good...im more worried cause i live in jersey and they are very strict Department of motor vehicles and i know it wont pass state inspection witht that light on...i might just have to take it to a dodge dealership and see of they can do i diagnostic on it. the dealer is absolutely useless...but i really really really like my durango now :-(

Old 02-18-2011, 02:54 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Start a new thread.

Quick Reply: Just b ought a 99 durango, many many questions!!!