1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Dodge dies...while I am driving!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:17 AM
docmatt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge dies...while I am driving!

So...This is along standing problem that we have tried to address at lots of different mechanics, including several Dodge dealerships, with no success. It started with simply not starting after driving for a long period of time (like on a cross country road trip truckstop kinda thing). Sometimes, it just simply won't start, such as in the morning, after driving to Target, whatever.

Maybe the road trip thing and the non-starting thing are two separate problems. The road trip thing is waaay more predictable; the non-starting thing just comes and goes over the weeks and months, seemingly at random. My wife thinks changing weather has some effect, but I dunno...It does seem related to the RPMs, like if you keep your foot on the gas while in park, and can shift into reverse and then drive quickly enough, it may stay running. It usually takes me one try to reverse out of our spot, it dies, then I start it again to go forward....

The newest thing is that the Durango dies while we are driving it, like in the middle of intersections. It's really fun. It seems to be related to low RPMs (like the non-starting thing).

We've had so many diagnostic tests and parts replaced, I feel a bit lost. I am hoping that someone with a more objective eye can give me some ideas. Please help!

Thanks!

-- Matt

Old 02-18-2011, 11:04 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i personally can NOT follow this post, you need to write down what the problem is, then a very detailed description of the problem, and then details of what the truck is doing at the time, then information on what the dealers/shops have already tried for you, and please seperate the two problems, two threads would be acceptable if you want.

however dieing at low rpms is often a bad battery, if yours is more then 3 years old i would just replace it

Old 02-18-2011, 02:10 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 Sharps

Old 02-18-2011, 06:04 PM
dolittle
Veteran

Also need to know what engine you have.
Has the coil been replaced?

Old 02-20-2011, 02:46 PM
docmatt

I will work on a coherent message this week and post it. Thanks for the patience and kindness! ;-)

Quick Reply: 2000 Dodge dies...while I am driving!