1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Tire Wobble & Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:28 PM
str8money
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Wobble & Noise

My 2000 Durango 2x4 has been having some "rubbing" noise when turning left. I would be all normal when going straight or turning right. But lately a tire wobble has started happening along with the rubbing noise which is getting slightly worse and it makes the noise now when the Durango drives straight. The tire wobble has gotten worse over the last few weeks. It's the same if I'm accelerating or braking.

I took off the tire and the tread is fine, and there doesn't seem to be any damage or wear marks to anything in the suspension area. Maybe a wheel bearing? I don't know.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:54 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

If it's a bad wheel bearing it will make a very annoying "humming" noise and usually changes tone/pitch as you turn and as you accelerate. It sounds to me like you may just be out of alignment. When was the last time the front end was aligned?

Also, it sounds like the brake rotor is fine because normally if you get a warped rotor that needs turned, it will mainly do it worse when you brake.

I'd start with a front end alignment, and inspect the inner parts of the wheel wells. Are you sure it is coming from the wheels?

Old 02-27-2011, 03:29 PM
str8money

It was the bearing. I replaced both sides just for the hell of it. Actually a very simple task. Still a little wobble on my wheels but I do need new tires so it's most likely that. THANKS!!!

Old 02-27-2011, 04:07 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

thanks for updating us on what the problem was, hopefully it will help someone else

Quick Reply: Tire Wobble & Noise