1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1999 Durango head question

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 12:38 PM
jrey10
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1999 Durango head question

My buddy and I started working on his 1999 4X4 Durango with a 5.2 Magnum V8. We started on the thermostat. Well, the bolts were rusty so then they broke. Next we tried to take out the broken piece with no success. We then replaced the intake manifold. We found another rusty bolt.... so now we moved on to replacing the heads. We got all the parts from the pick-n-pull cause my buddy lost his job and his finances are low. Well when we installed the new heads, the passenger side had this tube that was attached but we do not remember taking it off let alone, what it connects to. Here are some pictures to help explain. The new head has bolt holes but what the heck connects to it but it looks like its coming from the transmission. Please help us because he is supposed to start training for a job next week and he needs his truck!

Old 02-26-2011, 01:12 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That is a air breather for the Transfer case. Looks like the top of it popped off and the plastic cover needs to be replaced so water doesn't get into it.

Basically, as the fluid gets warm in the T-case the pressure will build so it has to exhaust somewhere or it will blow the seals, thus there is a breather and that breather regulates the a neutral pressure just like the one on the top of the front or rear differential.

It does not attach to anything.

Something like this without a spring and is only plastic:

Last edited by hydrashocker; 02-26-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 1999 Durango head question