1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Places to install a body lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 03:38 PM
zeke@zekescfc.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes- but your not a 16yr.old kid, asking these questions either. Let's be informative?

Old 02-28-2011, 04:15 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the idea of putting the body lift on there is to allow you to fit larger tires, (sure some people do it just for height, but most people do it bc they want taller tires, which does equate to more ground clearance, i think we agree on that part)

adding ANY lift to a vehicle will change its cg and make it easier to roll over, and will change the braking, accelerating, and drag characteristics of the vehicle.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:15 PM
RunnerMatt
Rookie

Originally Posted by Duranged408
dont let the nay sayers/shadetree/overnights at a holiday inn express comments throw you off
Haha. I remember those commercials. Lmao

Old 02-28-2011, 05:07 PM
bowhuntmaine
Professional

Originally Posted by zeke@zekescfc.com
Yes- but your not a 16yr.old kid, asking these questions either. Let's be informative?
We are being informative. There's nothing wrong with a body lift. Just don't go over 3 inches. IMHO, the body lift is the way to go. The suspension lift of 5.5 inches isn't worth the money. I'd take that money and do an SAS, and not worry about tearing the rig up.

Anyway, shop around your area, don't be afraid to go out in the boonedocks and look either. We rednecks do lifts all the time. (laughing silently, i saw a Monte Carlo not to long ago on a 4x4 frame, it had like 20 inches of lift).

Old 03-01-2011, 12:14 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

OMG!!!!! Are we still talkin about this?

I've had a Hyundai Accel literally on the rear bumper of a lifted Jeep winching it's way up a rock slide! Speaking of which you should have seen their faces when I told them to get the F**k out of the way!......LMAO Seriously, it's not the clearance or the vehicle, it's the driver and how stupid or nuts he is to get the vehical where he wants it and is willing to pay to ensure it gets there.

I've learned a great deal on off roading living in the mountains! I've done everything from driving wheels up tree trunks and popping off them to hopping over boulders at 50 MPH.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:24 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Haha hydra sounds like you've had fun in your life. I've gotten my D 3 feet off the ground going 120 mph down a country road in the hills of Tennessee. Other than that off road here and going into woods there but normally try to keeps things a bit sane.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:38 AM
melodytoinvent
Captain
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bowhuntmaine
We are being informative. There's nothing wrong with a body lift. Just don't go over 3 inches. IMHO, the body lift is the way to go. The suspension lift of 5.5 inches isn't worth the money. I'd take that money and do an SAS, and not worry about tearing the rig up.

Anyway, shop around your area, don't be afraid to go out in the boonedocks and look either. We rednecks do lifts all the time. (laughing silently, i saw a Monte Carlo not to long ago on a 4x4 frame, it had like 20 inches of lift).
Agreed.

Other than that, lol at zeke.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:24 PM
coreybv
Veteran

Originally Posted by zeke@zekescfc.com
There's been lots of good, helpful information presented here.

Why can't a 16 year old kid do a body lift?

I grew up in a rural hick farming community in the middle of the 80's farm crisis. Everyone was dirt poor. If we wanted a car to drive when we turned 16, we bought one for 50 bucks when we were 14 and spent 2 years getting it running. Old junkers with siezed engines and any other problems you can imagine. We got together with our buddies and helped each other fix them up, learning everything as we went.

I spent my weekends hunting down auctions, estate sales, etc... where I could by high quality but broken and rusty tools for pennies. Then I took them to the Snap-On truck on Tuesday afternoons (or the Mac truck, etc...) and traded them in for brand new ones (gotta love that Snap-On warranty!). By the time I graduated high school I had a collection of tools that would make most professional mechanics jealous. (Unfortunately, I had a storage unit get broken into about 10 years ago and they're gone now... )

It's just flat out stupid to say that a 16 year old can't handle a little mechanical work. I was doing complete engine overhauls by that age.

Back then kids actually learned how to change a flat tire. Nowadays parents just hand them a AAA card and send them on their way. Sad...

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Last edited by coreybv; 03-01-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:45 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I can vouge for that, however your a lil older than me but grew up the same way. We figured things out and fixed everything. We learned by mistake or havin the buddies help ya and learn from their mistakes. Not to mention I had one hell of a teacher on the old school vehicles.

But ya, I was PITA kid that knew everything in those days and wasn't afraid of much.......Stupid as hell thinkin back. I've been shot at, stabbed, beaten, dealin, wheelin, buildin and drillin. I've been around the block, but I learned a lot but grew up. I was one of the lucky ones that pulled their head out.....LOL.....And now I'm a regulator......Figure that one out......

As for the tools, we used a barrage of old crap and saved all the money for building performance.......The old days of racin down county back roads at 150 mph......LOL

Old 03-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Duranged408
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
The old days of racin down county back roads LOL
I could picture it now, two drunked up hillbillies atop cows racing down a dirt road to defend their family honor

Quick Reply: Places to install a body lift kit