1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Newbie/question(s) rear hatch

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:48 PM
josephf31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie/question(s) rear hatch

Hello all, just got a '98 SLT 5.2 4WD with some issues, I hope the main one (noise from the rear) isn't too bad, I've read most/all the posts here and will be inspecting the rear hopefully this weekend with hopes it's not too bad :-(

Now for my (first) question -- searched but found nothing.

My rear hatch will open and shut OK but it does not lock. If I use the remote lock button, all the doors lock and cannot be opened but the rear hatch you can just open with the handle.

It latches OK, doesn't rattle or open while driving, etc. it just won't "lock" with either the FOB or the key.

Thoughts?

Joe

Thanks all this looks like a great forum! As soon as I inspect the rear diff I'll know whether or not to go back to the dealer and start screaming! His ad on eBay (I know I know LOL) said "some noise from the rear under acceleration", but that's not right, it's "a lot of noise from the rear when coasting" (none under acceleration). Keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 02-28-2011, 11:54 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

The lock mechanism sounds like it's shot. Open up the panel to access the rear hatch mechanisms and look for movement and most likely it's stripped out.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Dans01Durango
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the locking mechanism. IIRC, the trim comes off in two pieces. The top piece comes off from the hatch with gentle but firm pressure and pulling. Be mindful of the tabs that keep the trim in place. The bottom is held on by screws. I think five or six. After that yuo can access the inner workings of the reaf hatch. HTH.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:50 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

sure sounds like the lock mechanism is going out in the liftgate, mine has been acting up for a bit now, take 2 or 3 hits of the lock button to get the gate to lock, this is exactly what i have come up with to be the problem, im just not home often enough to confirm this yet

Old 03-01-2011, 12:07 PM
coreybv
Veteran

A few other things to check...

Open the hatch and stand right under it, so your ears are nice and close. Then press the lock and unlock buttons on your fob a few times each. Do you hear anything happening? If not, the actuator is either bad or not receiving power.

If you do hear it trying, but it's still not working, then your actual lock mechanism could be jammed or the little linkage rod from the actuator to the mechanism might have come loose or gotten bent.

The hatch on my 98 also won't lock, but it has another problem as well. In order to get it to even latch I have to hit the unlock button on the fob a couple times before I close it. Latch mechanism is all corroded.

Best thing to do is just remove the trim panels according to the instructions given above (it's really quick and easy) and then just take a look at everything and see what's actually happening when you try to lock or unlock.

Quick Reply: Newbie/question(s) rear hatch