1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

K&N FIPK2 MODS

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 03:16 AM
cooleod
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N FIPK2 MODS

I just installed a K&N FIPK2 on my '03 Durango 4x4, 4.7L and was suprised how much the tone of the motor changed when you get on the gas! Is this normal? I didn't notice that much of a change when I put one on my '95 GMC Pickup. Seems to be a bit more responsive, but trying to get used to it's new sound. Hope the wife likes it! Aftermarket exhaust is next and was leaning towards the Magnaflow cat back system. Anyone else have suggestions? Anyone chip theirs yet? What seems to be the best?

Old 06-26-2005, 06:04 PM
NotSureDurango
Default RE: K&N FIPK2 MODS

Hey Cooled,
I did a different intake, 3" cat back with a Magnaflow, 180 thrermostat and a Jet stage II chip in my 4.7 that has 110k on it. Wow did it come alive! Sadly we're getting rid of it and I have already pulled off all the things I could in order to e-bay it all. If you want the chip, it's the (S) or stage two chip which needs better intake and exhaust systems installed. You'll also need to run premium with this. If you want it, $150 and it's yours, I'll cover shipping. Really makes a difference, mostly in throttle response, even the wife wants me to leave it in util the D sells. Let me know.

Old 06-28-2005, 10:06 PM
cooleod

I had a Jet Stage II in my 95 GMC 4x4 and was not very impressed. I don't think I will be going back to Jet, but haven't completely ruled them out yet. I have been doing some research online and a lot of people are saying it is more beneficial to reprogram rather than chip your vehicle. They say you can fine tune your vehicle more to fit your vehicle, makes sense, but I have never done that. Has anyone ever heard, or used, Superchips? Any other solid performer out there that I should look at? I think I have decided on the Magnaflow also.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:50 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was reading in the Durango Club forum and one of the Dodge engineers says the add on chips do not work. At least not in the long term because the durango PCM's will compensate the chips and eventually negate its effects. The dodge engineer says to make your performance changes to stay permanent, you need a PCM programmer that Superchips and Hypertech makes. He seriously does not recommend a chip addon because the PCM will eventually compensate and negate the changes made by the add on chip.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:57 AM
cooleod

I have heard the same thing and it makes sense. I checked Hypertech and they don't make one for the 4.7 (at least I didn't see it on their website), but Superchips does. I haven't heard much about Superchips, though, so I wanna do my homework before I spend the $$. Thanks for the input!

Old 07-02-2005, 02:36 PM
NotSureDurango

I had heard the same thing about the Jet chips, and when I installed it along with all the other mods, I was sure it was not doing me any good. I did change my mind when I took it out though. Made a big difference. Reprogramming is probably a better way to go, but for those on a budget, the jet chip is deffinatly an improvment.

Old 08-23-2005, 06:55 AM
mrmidnight

Superchips is very reputable, we use them in the NHRA

Old 08-23-2005, 01:03 PM
Digitoxin
Professional

I have a 03 Durango, 4.7 engine. I got the superchip microtuner programmer. I programmed it
to the max performance, and Man!! what a difference. I have a completely
funtional hood with K&N cool air kit also. That 4.7 has lots of power now. I love
it!. I have to run premium fuel though. But it is not a huge difference in cost
when you really think about it. And it was worth the money to me to get the
performance that it should have. It runs up grades and does not downshift now,
and runs at lower RPMS .Shift points are more in time with powerband. I have
nothing bad to say about the superchip. I have not checked the miles per gallon
difference yet. Still to new if you know what I mean; I cant seem to keep my foot
out of the throttle ever sense.
I just came back from the coast (Ca) to Redding. Lots of grades, and I was towing a
trailer with all my camping gear. I was so impressed at the power I have now going up hills
and passing. I highly recommend the programmer over the expensive exhaust, headers
etc... But I have to run Premium fuel. Thats the only small downside.

https://dodgeforum.com/albumphoto.as...Type=6&apage=7

Quick Reply: K&N FIPK2 MODS