1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Tranny Going?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 04:54 PM
r/tDan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Going?

I have a 2001 5.9 R/T Automatic which I dearly love. Has approx. 148K on it. I had the CV drive shaft rebuilt 3 months ago and went over the entire vehicle with a buddy who is a Dodge master mechanic - no issues (I have since moved 1800 miles away so he is no longer available to help).

Last weekend in the last 5 miles of a 40 mile round trip I experienced a bit of harsh shifting which was the first time ever. Nothing again for the week. Just today, about 20 miles from home, my overdrive cuts out and my RPMs increase from 1500 at speed to 2400. I cut trip short and head for home knowing nothing good is going to happen from here on. I have to stop 3 times as Transmission Temp light comes on to let it cool.

Trans fluid is not burnt smelling and is still in color. I have read and considered the Transmission Diagnostic Sticky here. Thought about the Lockup Solenoid at first due to hard shifts, but...now?

Can anyone add any info that may help me decide if I will attempt fixes myself or find a shop. I have mechanical aptitude and have done a lot of things - except - work on the tranny. I would like to do as much as I can myself due to cash situation. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:02 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i assume you have already checked the transmission fluid to make sure it is up to level, and that you did this correctly (warm engine/tranny after 15 miles of driving, run through all gears ending in nuetral, check in nuetral w/ the engine running) (if you havent, then do this and top it off w/ atf +4)

when was the last fluid/filter change done? last band adjustment? if the answer is never, then i would get both of these done before jumping on the rebuild train.

apart form the obvious mentioned above im going to suggest you get in touch with user Master Tech, he is a dodge tranny tech and will have the best in-depth information for you

Old 03-05-2011, 05:50 PM
r/tDan

I checked it after 20+ miles (first trans temp light), but vehicle was just turned off. I wondered why I couldn't get a clean read. I'll try that tomorrow. Bands have never been adjusted since I have owned it. I did have the fluid changed in August 2007.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:31 PM
r/tDan

I checked tranny fluid per shrpshtr325's post above and if anything - it is too full. Still not what I would call a "clear" read on level. It is definitely full though I do see some leakage from the pan. Had some weird shifting patterns today - taking too long to shift. Not the higher rpms I had yesterday when the O/D cut out. Any thoughts? Does the fluid lose viscosity at a certain temp/mileage and become useless?

Old 03-06-2011, 04:27 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

the fluid characteristics can change over time w/ use(read abuse), and if the trans temp light has come on you have at least started to burn the fluid, definitely change it and purge it (DO NOT FLUSH THE TRANS), put in new filters, and adjust the bands.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:09 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yes since the symptoms you're puting on the table, don't skip a band adjustment. Especially with it being an '01 with the 46re, sounds like it's a simple fix rather than a dead transmission. Trust me, if its dead you'll know it.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:15 PM
r/tDan

Pulled the pan and put in a new filter & gasket. Adjusted the rear bands (could not locate the front at the time). Runs well except for still needing the front bands adjusted. Found a spring in the pan attached to the magnet. .25" diameter x 1" long. Any thoughts on where it comes from? I'm thinking it is NOT related to the tranny and made its way in during the last tranny service at the dealer in 2007.

I just read another post that should help with locating the front band adjustment screw.

I asked at both the dealer and a Cottman Trans shop and neither of them will adjust the bands, wth?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:03 AM
DrewsDurango98

idk how a spring can make it in the pan without coming from inside the trans. it mite have came from ur valve body.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:13 PM
r/tDan

Update - Having changed the fluid/filter and adjusting front/rear bands, i am getting the tranny temp light and the check engine icon and the O/D is shutting off. Shifts normal and runs strong. Any thoughts? I have to drive back to CO (1,800) miles in 3 weeks and have very limited funds to fix this. I hope and pray it is only a sensor or the like!

Old 05-29-2011, 07:45 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I'd get the MIL scanned somewhere like AutoZone for free if you don't have a scanner and get it fixed before you make the long haul. The last thing you want is to be stranded somewhere in the middle of the country with a blown transmission all because you weren't sure what it was.

Quick Reply: Tranny Going?