1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Debris Into Head / Changing Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:22 AM
Grey<4.7>Goose
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debris Into Head / Changing Spark Plugs

Hello,

This is my first post and it feels like it may be a painful one. Thanks to all of the great advice that I was able to exhume from this forum, I was finally able to remove a set of nasty seized up plugs that have been vexing me for days.

That being said, it was 4 hours of PB Blaster and a cold engine that did the trick. (no breaker bar or impact although I did see that on another forum)

Beyond the greasy/grimy mess in the bottom of the wells, I noticed what looked like a disintegrated o-ring on a couple of the plugs when they came out. I didn't pay them much mind until I was putting in the new plugs. Looking down into the well of cylinder #1, I saw one of these "o-rings" and it was mostly in tact. Long story short, I tried every tool in my garage to get it out and eventually lost half of it down the bunny hole...

So, how many times do I need to say "f," "s," etc... Besides, an immediate oil change tomorrow, what am I facing with that thing floating around in there?

Thanks!

2000 "Grey" Durango SLT / 4.7L / 4x4

Old 03-06-2011, 09:02 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Was it metal or a small piece of rubber. This happened to me once with a small piece of metal and ended up having to drop a valve and open her up to get to it. Chances are if it's rubber no harm will be done and it will just burn up. What I'd do first off is use a shop vac and get a small diameter extension and try and suck it up thru the plug hole.

More than likely it won't cause any damage, but if you can get it out of there, it would likely be better for piece of mind.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You can get one of those extendable magnets and drop it down the plug hole to retrieve it.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Grey<4.7>Goose

Thank you both for the replies. The next morning, I ended up stumbling across the same vacuum suggestion via Google and gave it a go.

There's no doubt in my mind that anything that was down in that cylinder, left in a hurry! I'm sure that it was some sort of gasket material or rubber. The fact that it would simply burn up never even crossed my mind. (good call)

In the end, I never found out what it was. I should have used a piece of cloth or screen to catch it. The shop vac was full of way too much other crap.

Additional Note: That same concept also proved to be a ballsy DIYdetailing tool! I would never have thought to fashion such a device in a million years had it not been for this situation.

***Concentrating the suction of a 6hp shop vac down to a 1/4" was enough to pick up a socket wrench!***

Old 03-08-2011, 10:34 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, the plug rings are metal and you dropped one down the plug hole, fact one.

and eventually lost half of it down the bunny hole...
There's no doubt in my mind that anything that was down in that cylinder
You need to make up your mind on what happened , before you post?

Quick Reply: Debris Into Head / Changing Spark Plugs