1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 Durango DS Front Axle CV Boot Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:55 PM
dualxhst289
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Durango DS Front Axle CV Boot Replacement

Got a quick, and probably simple, question for you guys here.

Im working on a friends 02 Durango that needs the outer front DS (drivers side) axle cv boot replaced. After first inspection, I am curious as to how to replace the boot itself. Does a replacement boot come in 2 pieces or 1? I am picking up the part tomorrow but I am trying to get a head start tonight. just wondering if it is nessesary to take apart the front end to remove the DS axle for this process. Ive been working on cars for the better half of my life but never replaced just the boot. Normally the whole axle is replaced but he is going the cheaper route, cant blame him I guess.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:59 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes you have to take the front end apart to get to it.

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Brake loose the axle nut, raise the Durango and remove tire, remove the brakes and rotor, undue the 3 bolts behind the knuckle to remove the wheel bearing, undue the retainer nut on the tie rod end (but dont take it fully off to protect threads) and smack it with a hammer and remove the nut and lower the tie rod end, twist the knuckle enough to pop the CV end out.
You might need to take off the upper ball joint for more room, but you should be able to rotate it out.

Old 03-07-2011, 03:26 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

honestly, tell your friend that he is better off replacing the whole axle shaft if the boot has torn, once it is torn the grease is contaminated (unless you tore it while doing work, and havn't driven the vehicle since it tore) and this will have you replacing the whole shaft before too much longer

Quick Reply: 2002 Durango DS Front Axle CV Boot Replacement