1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

battery issue or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 03:40 PM
01 6.3L RT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteWidow00
I've blown thru 3 optima batteries so they're not high up on my list. Especially for their "warranty" they are so proud of.
You musta got the ''lemons'' of the bach, I`ve used them in all my vehicles, never ever had a problem with any Optima ,,,But to each his own,,we all like what we`ve had the best with ,,,,,

Old 03-12-2011, 04:02 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Yeah I've actually heard it a couple of times happening where they just failed and died. I believe Indy had something like mine happen. Also the price just isn't worth it to me. However, when the battery did work it did a great job. Never a hard start or anything and didn't do bad under my setup on my vehicle (most batteries can't hold up).

Old 03-12-2011, 04:10 PM
MNdurangoguy

yeah... resident in Mn...luckily it happened while sitting in my garage, not out in the cold. it was the original battery, so it was way overdue...guess being it has never given me any probs, I didnt even think about it.

I love my Durango...love it to death...but all the problems (mostly minor) just suck. Only 85000 miles on it, but replaced both back seat window motors twice, rear seat blower, on my second front blower motor...endless blower motor resistors, the list goes on....

Anyone know off hand where the usual spot to find a short on a heated seat would be. I hit the heated seat button and it just blinks. with it being below zero most of the time here, I will prolly wait till Spring to fix it, but if someone could point me as to where the short may be, if its simple enough I may fix it sooner than later.

Thanks again for the help guys!

Old 03-12-2011, 04:47 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

its most likely NOT a short in the heated seat, its probably an open, and it is probably in the heater on the seat (the part your *** sits on), there is a write up on here by yours truely on fixing it, but its not by any means a permanent fix, im working on a new method to fix mine, but havnt come up with anything that i am 100% satisfied with yet, when i do ill be updating the other thread (check the FAQ, my repair lasted me 2 years, and idk if its the same spot or a new one which opened up the circuit)

Old 03-12-2011, 05:40 PM
dolittle
Veteran

Optima is not made by the same company anymore. The sold out.
They use to be a very good battery but now not so much.

Copy & Past

It has been several years since I wrote the below information about the Optima battery. Since then, they have moved their operation to Mexico. It seems the current owner relocated there after buying the Optima company. After discussing the performance of Optima batteries with a lot of my friends, and reading hundreds of threads about Optima battery performance, I can no longer recommend the Optima battery. What other Jeep owners are seeing with their Yellow Top Optima is nothing like what I and many other experienced with our first Optimas some 10 years ago. Aside from what appears to be basic quality issues, the Optima company appears to believe that any premature failure of their battery is because YOU did something wrong. Your electrical system is bad, your alternator isn't charging correctly, you have a bad voltage regulator, etc. In other words....sorry, the warranty on your battery is void because we said you did something wrong.
Optima batteries use AGM (absorbed glass mat) technology which is great for offroad use. There are LOTS of other companies around that offer quality AGM (Sears for one) type batteries that your Jeep will certainly appreciated. The info I provide below is still valid....just pretend the Optima name isn't there and use "AGM" in its place.

Info from here.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrical/elec1/battery.htm

Last edited by dolittle; 03-12-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to use an Optima get a red top for general purpose use or a blue top which is designed to either deep cycle but can also be run like a regualr car battery. Yellow tops are designed for marine and RV use. They are meant to be completely discharged, then recharged. That's not how a cars charging system works.

Quick Reply: battery issue or something else?