Steering Shaft U-joints

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 02:45 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Lightbulb Steering Shaft U-joints

A long and continuing search……

I found this listing www.borgeson.com a company that builds replacement U-joints for intermediate steering shafts as well as entire replacement shafts.

It appears to be a universal part but I was reading through an old 4 Wheel Off Road posting http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...ade/index.html on a steering rebuild and came across it. As I dove into it I couldn't find a Durango shaft, but I found some universal joints: http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=5

Has anyone ever done business with another company in selling just replacement U-joints?

Last edited by hydrashocker; 03-07-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:58 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had ordered from a company named Precision and it was very nice quality product that was strong and didn't fail. However, I haven't used them in a good 4 years so I'm not even sure if they're around.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Bobman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Borgeson has a great quality product line, I've used their rebuilt steering boxes in the past and have been very satisfied with both price and quality.

Don't the intermediate shafts on a D have square ends on them though? I'm just going on memory when I changed mine with dealer part, and I don't recall a spline or round shaft with a flat on it. I could be way wrong on this as it's been awhile.

From what I see all of the joints are round or splined. Could be made to fit, but is it worth the trouble? The replacement shafts that they have for Dodge trucks are complete top to bottom so there wouldn't be an issue.

A simple grease fitting on the original part would have probably prevented this problem from day one!

Bob

Old 03-08-2011, 10:55 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If memory serves me, the shafts are hexagonal therefore these universal shafts should work concerting they have a hexagonal shape and a set screw.

Widow<---------Precision<-----Do you have a link?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:40 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Precision is under the father company, Federal-Mogul.

Heres a link to check it out...

http://www.federalmogul.com/en/After...versal-Joints/

Quick Reply: Steering Shaft U-joints