1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Exhaust Question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 02:54 PM
seancolon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Question?

Just wondering if anyone has run True Dual Side exhaust on there Durango? I was thinking about getting 2 flowmasters and having a local shop bend me some pipes. I think it would sound good on my 5.2 but just wondering if anyone has done it, or if there are any reasons why it wouldnt be a good idea?

Old 03-09-2011, 03:13 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

True dials would be more than you're thinking bud. The exhaust layout on these is it meets from both headers and joins before the cat and goes single out from that junction.

For true dials you'd need to replace with shorty headers and replace with new CAT on driver side and go to muffler back. That would be true duals.

However if you just wanted to run dual mufflers CAT back, that's a different story. It wouldn't have much gain but I you want that you can. As far as from a performance stand point, I would imagine a single in/out muffler on passenger side only would be the greatest improvement.

If you wanted to do a single in/dual out muffler, it would sound about the same, be less of a pain (keep in mind you'd have to route the extra exhaust piping and find a place for the extra muffler) and would be less on the wallet.

The dual out muffler sounds real good on these rigs, hell even single out sounds real good. That's what I have is a single in/single out Flowmaster 40 muffler but I did 3" CAT back piping.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:14 PM
bowhuntmaine
Professional

Whites on it. I don't know ur cash flow but Flowmasters are 100 a piece, converter is 80-100 a piece, custom bent tubing and shortys, probably over 300 or more. You'll have at least 700 wrapped up in that system. And it will only last a couple of years depending on where you live. Mine lasted a year and a half cuz of the salt. Stainless is an option but more expensive. I would just go with a single in dual out, piped to the rear. Mine was 350 bucks in and out. If its the rumble ur looking for, you can hear my setup 4 or 5 blocks away when i have my foot in it. HTH

Old 03-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the CAT back dual kits I've seen all require you to remove the spare tire too. You probably already knew that though. If you're going custom though and are careful you can work around the tire keeping it there, I've seen it done before but it's tight between it and the fuel tank. I'm not sure if in a true dual setup only passing 1 bank of cylinders on the o2 sensors would mess up anything, but if you're looking for performance I'd just go with a bigger pipe. I have no idea if you can get side exit exhaust on the drivers side and still be able to tuck the pipe up there because of the fuel tank.

Just things to consider. The mangum engines have a very nice deep loud sound to them to work with.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:57 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Evon Trizmo
I'm not sure if in a true dual setup only passing 1 bank of cylinders on the o2 sensors would mess up anything, but if you're looking for performance I'd just go with a bigger pipe.
That brings me to my next point that I forgot to mention. You would have to custom build a circuit and link both O2 sensors and in a sense, trick the PCM to think there's only one and have it sending signals that cooperate with eachother.

If you have a passenger side cylinder that is running a bit rich, you wouldn't want to starve the driver side cylinders and deprive them of fuel because your passenger side O2 sensor told it to lean up a little.

Great catch Evon, and if the OP were really serious about doing it, you would almost have to supplement an O2 sensor simulator, where you link the wiring from the sensors and have it send random equations of air:fuel ratios.

Simulators aren't the best thing for your vehicle, but if it's really what you want to do, they are out there!

Quick Reply: Exhaust Question?