1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

To recharge a/c or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 08:01 PM
stratuser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To recharge a/c or not?

So I finally purchased a new a/c compressor for my 2001 Dodge Durango with the 4.7L engine. Had the system recovered and have just finished installing a new drier and the new compressor. I would really like to invest in a vacuum pump so that I can recharge the system myself. Would it be ok to just run the vehicle without having to recharge the system? I just do not have the funds to get it done right now but am in need of using the vehicle.

Last edited by stratuser; 03-10-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Bobman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldn't be an issue as long as the AC clutch stays disengaged. The refrigerant contains a small amount of oil as well which lubricates the pump when it's running. Also, the pump usually won't engage as there's usually a pressure switch inline somewhere that prevents the clutch from working with low pressure.

As far as buying a vacuum pump, unless you do this a lot it's probably not worth it. There's more to it than just evacuating the system and adding refrigerant. You have to get the right pressure to get the system to operate efficiently. Too little and it's not cold enough, too much and you can reach dangerous pressures on the high pressure side. Besides, unless you have a leak, you shouldn't have to add refrigerant to a closed system.

Bob

Old 03-10-2011, 09:55 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

And you either have a 4.7 or 5.9, just for clarification.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:55 PM
stratuser

oops ! Typo! It is the 4.7L

Old 03-11-2011, 05:54 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to a shop and let them know you replaced the compressor. Unless that compressor was precharged with oil (which it wouldn't be) they need to add X amount of oil before charging with refrigerant. Also they will be able to pull it into a vacuum and make sure it holds the vacuum ensuring that there are no leaks. Unless you have a gauge set, the vacuum pump, a way to charge the system with oil, and are able to charge the system with the exact amount of refrigerant required with no more or less you are going to give yourself a headache. and are going to end up paying a shop to do it for you anyway. It only costs like $100 anyway.

Also the a/c compressor WILL NOT come on without any refrigerant in the system. There is a pressure switch for the a/c system that only allows the clutch to engage when it is reading X amount of pressure in the refrigerant lines. it also cuts the compressor out when the pressure gets too high in the system. That is why your a/c cycles on and off.

Quick Reply: To recharge a/c or not?