1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help! P1391 crank/cam sensor code

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 04:53 PM
ndibber@topeka.org
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help! P1391 crank/cam sensor code

I consider myself a good mechanic and I was helping out a friend, he had his durango with a 4.7 spin a rod bearing. He rushed it and bought a wrecked durango with 5.9 and new transmission and transfer case installed in with only 250 miles on it before it was totaled. He got it extra cheap and I helped him out by swaping the two drivetrains out. I wired everything and got it running. I'm getting a P1391 intermittent crank/cam sensor signal falure. I have checked the sensor it was bad and replaced it with a borg warner one from oreilly's, it did help out but still not great, so I installed a new cam sensor with no fix, I then put in a spare computer I had with no change. I have 5v at the sensor perfect ground and .1omh resistance on the signal wire to the computer. I pulled the new sensor back out and the flywheel had started rubbing on it, I glued two thin washer on it and reinstalled it to space it and it made it worse. I pulled the washers and reinstalled the sensor and that is where I'm at now. I don't see a rubber grommet around the sensor hole I have heard that is suppost to be there but dodge can't find where it was suppose to have one. The only thing left is the flex plat or as dodge calls it the drive plate. I don't know how it got screwed up the engine ran fine before pulling it. By the way don't swap a 4.7 to a 5.9 it is a cluster and everything has to go down to the steering cloumn, insturment cluster and all the wiring. PLEASE HELP!

Old 03-15-2011, 05:12 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

Wow. I didn't even know you could swap a 45rfe or 545rfe out with a 46re transmission.

You replaced just the transmission and driveshaft correct, not the engine?

If you replaced the engine, I'd say it's due to the fact that the Camshaft Position sensor is in the distributor and the 4.7 doesn't have a distributor. Could be a shot PCM.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:40 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i also hope that the pcm was changed with the engine, if he swapped form a 4.7 to a 5.9 he definitely changed the trans and driveline and wiring w/ it

Old 03-15-2011, 09:37 PM
ndibber@topeka.org

I swaped everything the Engine, Tranmission, Wiring. I removed the computer for the old trans, I kept the transfter case it was the same beside electric shift, same drive shaft. It really was not all that hard if you are good with a wiring diagram. It fired and ran the first attempt to start. It had the miss I plugged scanner into it and keep getting the code 1391 There are two diffternt connector and they are C106, and C105 90 percent of the wires are the same color and you just have to firgure out the other ones and how to make them talk to the computer. I ran two wire over the fuse box for the trans relay since it was now ran from he main PCM. I will post all the wiring info swap when I get it all finished. I going to pull the starter and flywheel cover and look at the flywheel teeth tomorrow. I had to swap gauge cluster with wiring connecters and repin a couple of wires.

Last edited by ndibber@topeka.org; 03-15-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:53 PM
jasonscimeca
Default p1391 code help

my 98 dodge durango is throwing a p1391 code (crank/cam shaft sensor intermit signal) has any one else had this problem and if so how did you resolve it.. where is the cam sensor on a 5.2l engine

Old 03-17-2011, 08:38 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

On the 5.2 the cam sensor is in the distributor.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:43 AM
jasonscimeca
Default cam sensor

is there another name for the cam sensor because all the parts stores i call say the 5.2 does not require or does not have a cam sensor

Old 03-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Evon Trizmo
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard people having problems before finding the cam sensor for the 5.2L engines. But widow got it exactly, it's in/part of the distrubutor, there's some name for it that I don't know off the top of my head right now, but it does the job of basically two sensors.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:17 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

Could it be CRANK Sensor?

Old 03-18-2011, 11:19 AM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

I've just always called it a camshaft position sensor. And what ever part stores you're calling that say the 5.2 don't have it need to check again. I've never had to replace one so check with the dealership parts counter.

Quick Reply: Help! P1391 crank/cam sensor code